4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
The women in our lives always know best! just ask them! LOL

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
As long as you are coating and curing, like previously, I think your lovely lady has a dam good idea...can't hurt and if you just covered the leak it needs to have the 2x creditcard thickness over it as well...:popcorn::popcorn:

hondas3000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
BC, Canada
Finally I been to the last page :). Thought you would be done after so many months so I can learn something from it. So now I think you get the feeling of panic and worry is like after each fill test :). I did build on a 600G tank myself with zavlar and I have to give up with this liquid rubber stuff as I can't get a strong bond with the glass and silicone. For small tank the rubber will hold fine but for bigger tank it really can't with stand the pressure unless you add a lot of layer.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The liquid rubber to glass bond is easily remedied. Butyl rubber bonds to both glass and liquid rubber bonds to it. It has been said over and over and over that liquid rubber will NOT bond to silicone.

As far as being done, let me know when you're done with your 600 gallon build. I'm so sick of people making comments like that. It makes me want to not even post anything about the build.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Pete Knows what he is doing. He has done the research and has invested his time and energy into this project! Just sit back and enjoy the updates fellas!

PS, Pete - Sorry I missed you today. You left a few minutes before I got there!
O well see ya next time bro

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
nolapete;4425690; said:
The liquid rubber to glass bond is easily remedied. Butyl rubber bonds to both glass and liquid rubber bonds to it. It has been said over and over and over that liquid rubber will NOT bond to silicone.

As far as being done, let me know when you're done with your 600 gallon build. I'm so sick of people making comments like that. It makes me want to not even post anything about the build.
Pete, didn't someone on here do a bunch of testing to see what liquid rubber did and didn't bond to? I seem to recall a thread on here someplace.

hondas3000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
BC, Canada
nolapete;4425690; said:

I am switching to epoxy and apply two coat with it, now it leaks free and I am working on the drip system and doing some finishing work. I am not oppose to your build in any way, it just IMO zavlar is wasted for me. It even cost me more then epoxy too.

MarkMatt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2010
Prairieville, LA
The liquid rubber to glass bond is easily remedied. Butyl rubber bonds to both glass and liquid rubber bonds to it. It has been said over and over and over that liquid rubber will NOT bond to silicone

Pete has done his research and well knows what he is doing. Hondas3000, you can't exactly blame the product when it wasn't meant to be applied to glass and silicone. Apparently you should have done more research on the product before you started your build. Pete has just had a few monor setbacks. I can't imagine trying to find a pinhole sized leak in a tank this size. I have seen the tank in person and can attest to its awesomeness. Pete will have it up and running in no time.

Gasha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Rhode Island
haven't been on in a while... the imaging would be used from the outside of the tank when full not looking in. so even though filled with water.. the wooden containment you built will have a different temperature than the water inside(they do find pinhole leaks with this technology)..... anyways good luck bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store