4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
The Real 118;4575156; said:
this is a very long post lol
Long Thread

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Woo. I go away for a while and the thread grows 100 pages. Glad to see it's still going.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
jcurrey90;4575153; said:
hey pete,

I just finished building my 400 gallon. 8'x30''x33'' and I had decided to seal my tank with peradri pond coat. Then i read about you having problems with it....so now i'm kinda having doubts. Would you recommend using it? and if so we need to hook up so I can get some from you. I live on the westbank in gretna so i'm not very far.

Thanks,
Jonathan
The problems I'm having aren't related to the coating, otherwise the tank would leak like a sieve. I would wholeheartedly and without reservation recommend Permadri to anyone. The Rubber Coat and Pond Coat products are the same from what my distributor tells me. I guess it's a marketing thing as far as the name. I've used both and notice no difference between the two except that Rubber Coat is costs a little less.

Talk to BadOleRoss about his experience with it. He'll say the same thing. We both are some of the first people to use the product. I think there was one other guy on here before us.

Let me know when you want to come by. I'm in Terrytown.

Pete

jcurrey90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
louisiana
nolapete;4576520; said:
The problems I'm having aren't related to the coating, otherwise the tank would leak like a sieve. I would wholeheartedly and without reservation recommend Permadri to anyone. The Rubber Coat and Pond Coat products are the same from what my distributor tells me. I guess it's a marketing thing as far as the name. I've used both and notice no difference between the two except that Rubber Coat is costs a little less.

Talk to BadOleRoss about his experience with it. He'll say the same thing. We both are some of the first people to use the product. I think there was one other guy on here before us.

Let me know when you want to come by. I'm in Terrytown.

Pete
I'm off today i can come by asap. I tried to send you a private message but i dont have enough posts. lol send me your phone number and we can discuss it further. How much do you sell them for?

jcurrey90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
louisiana
nolapete;4578670; said:
Can't until you post more :D. It doesn't let you receive pm's either.
grrrr ok. questoin one: what is your solution to sealing the viewing window problem? I read that the other guy you mentioned ended up using fiberglass resin, then silicone, then glass, then fiberglass resin, then PC i think.

jcurrey90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
louisiana
nolapete;4578670; said:
Can't until you post more :D. It doesn't let you receive pm's either.
Question 2: when i first built the tank i intended on using fiberglass resin and epoxy to seal the tank but then I found out about the liquid rubber and decided to go with that over the epoxy because I will be moving the tank with me where I go and I dont want it to spring a leak when i move. BUT here is my problem-since I was going with the epoxy, I decided to seal all the inside creases of the tank with a bead of silicone and smeared a little over the exposed screws on the inside. Now I'm finding out that the liquid rubber does not bond to silicone at all and that I pretty much screwed myself. SO I have begun the LOOOOOONG process of sraping 2 tubes of silicone out of the tank with a razor blade and sand paper....

jcurrey90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
louisiana
jcurrey90;4579136; said:
Question 2: when i first built the tank i intended on using fiberglass resin and epoxy to seal the tank but then I found out about the liquid rubber and decided to go with that over the epoxy because I will be moving the tank with me where I go and I dont want it to spring a leak when i move. BUT here is my problem-since I was going with the epoxy, I decided to seal all the inside creases of the tank with a bead of silicone and smeared a little over the exposed screws on the inside. Now I'm finding out that the liquid rubber does not bond to silicone at all and that I pretty much screwed myself. SO I have begun the LOOOOOONG process of sraping 2 tubes of silicone out of the tank with a razor blade and sand paper....
Just realized that second one is not a question. My question is how bad of a screw up is this and how will it affect the build? also is there an easier way to get all that silicon out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store