4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
matt clark;4696391; said:
pm me mate got some ash for you
This is a great Idea. There are so many of us watching this build. I am sure we could all easily pitch in a few bucks. I know I throw away a lot more than 5 to 10 bucks every week on stuff I cant even remember. Pete - we know each other but I still like this Idea. PM me your pay pal info. I got a donation for ya bro. :headbang2

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Gasha;4691863; said:
damn... just checking up... shame it's not done!! i have learned 2 important lessons for when i build my tank after college:
1) cement all the way!!(i would pick this over wood anyway)
2) be a couple g's over budget

can't wait to see this done, gonna look amazing for sure!!! happy holidays!!
Point number 2 is valid for almost every project, industrial or domestic. I don't know about point #1 though. I think the wood frame is a very valid design, especially if you want to demolish the tank one day. Look at anythingfish's 8000 gallon wooden tank. Pete's issues come from an uncertain cause - maybe if he'd used fabric with the liquid rubber it would have avoided it, or maybe it's something else entirely. Concrete comes with it's own set of issues.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
cvermeulen;4696740; said:
Point number 2 is valid for almost every project, industrial or domestic. I don't know about point #1 though. I think the wood frame is a very valid design, especially if you want to demolish the tank one day. Look at anythingfish's 8000 gallon wooden tank. Pete's issues come from an uncertain cause - maybe if he'd used fabric with the liquid rubber it would have avoided it, or maybe it's something else entirely. Concrete comes with it's own set of issues.
True, there is positively zero info out there about building in concrete. There is only one example on MFK.

Gasha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Rhode Island
cvermeulen;4696740; said:
seriously guy.... those issues must be less than wood otherwise the boston aquarium would be all wood... i accept the point on wanting to demolish... jackhammers suck... been there plenty of times!

Yanbbrox;4697087; said:
True, there is positively zero info out there about building in concrete. There is only one example on MFK.
maybe not on this site but there are displayed builds out there.... also special type of cement too

o yea for both you genious' puttin words in my mouth i said cement not concrete... big difference!!! think before you chime... concrete would prolly work too tough they use that round pool areas, driveways and it cracks... lol nope guess it wouldn't work
AQUARIUMS Dams, oilrigs, dock supports, bridges, lighthouses all use cement... good to know!!

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I remember there was someone in England who had a 1500 UK gallon tropical tank and I though of copying his ideas when trying to build mine in that he did a real good job of building it.

The biggest thing I'm worried with Cement is that you would have to build some type of header out of it for the top of the fish tank viewing window to be held up by.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Gasha;4698216; said:
seriously guy.... those issues must be less than wood otherwise the boston aquarium would be all wood... i accept the point on wanting to demolish... jackhammers suck... been there plenty of times!

maybe not on this site but there are displayed builds out there.... also special type of cement too

o yea for both you genious' puttin words in my mouth i said cement not concrete... big difference!!! think before you chime... concrete would prolly work too tough they use that round pool areas, driveways and it cracks... lol nope guess it wouldn't work
AQUARIUMS Dams, oilrigs, dock supports, bridges, lighthouses all use cement... good to know!!
I'm sorry, I only speak English and do not understand.

Gasha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Rhode Island
Yanbbrox;4698485; said:
I'm sorry, I only speak English and do not understand.
was typing on cell phone... but all that means is you both don't know what your talking about...:grinno:

anyways don't want to fill this good thread with arguments....

ronp327

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2010
roanoke,va
hey pete,
p.m me as well i will throw in a donation to you tank.
i want to see this thing up as well.
you helped me along my planning so its worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store