4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

familyman03

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
pete pm me i would like to donate what i can.

I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT MORE PEOPLE READING THIS THREAD AND WHAT IS A COUPLE OF BUCKS OTHER THAN A FATTENING MCDONALD'S BURGER COMPARED TO SUCH AN AWESOME BUILD

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
familyman03;4701319; said:
pete pm me i would like to donate what i can.

I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT MORE PEOPLE READING THIS THREAD AND WHAT IS A COUPLE OF BUCKS OTHER THAN A FATTENING MCDONALD'S BURGER COMPARED TO SUCH AN AWESOME BUILD
:iagree: Well Said!

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
PM's sent. Fiancee' is pushing me to get the tank done. I just finished the first part of renovating the old "sewing room" in our house by building shelving, painting, and installing carpet squares. Still have a little more to do.

Going to pump out the remaining 6" or so of water left in the tank after the last test and remove the plastic sheeting.

I have tossed back and forth whether to go with the 20'x25' or 25'x30' liner. The 20'x25' will fit like a glove with only 1' of excess whereas the 25'x30' would have lots of excess that would need to be cut off. After consulting with Ken, we've decided to go with the 20'x25' which will be easier to work with and will save at least $125.

Stopped by a LFS after our aquarium club Christmas party Saturday. They have an arapaima that is somewhere around 28" that is absolutely beautiful. It has a $600 price tag. Glad to see that so no one without proper housing for it will likely buy it. I told the guy there to let me know when they're ready to part with it at cost :D.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Got the PM - Sent a $10 donation to help with the liner. Come on Guys, Lets pitch in. I want to see this tank DONE!!!!!!!!! lol

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Gasha;4699317; said:
was typing on cell phone... but all that means is you both don't know what your talking about...:grinno:

anyways don't want to fill this good thread with arguments....
If you don't want to start an argument, you should probably avoid telling people that they don't know what they're talking about. Yanbbrox is a pretty well respected, contributing DIYer, and I have qualifications you have no idea about.

Yanbbrox;4698485; said:
I'm sorry, I only speak English and do not understand.
:ROFL:

Gasha;4698216; said:
those issues must be less than wood otherwise the boston aquarium would be all wood
1) The boston aquarium is _somewhat_ more than 4000 gallons.
2) The boston aquarium is not in someone's house
3) The boston aquarium was not built by one guy and his fiancee.

Gasha;4698216; said:
for both you genious' puttin words in my mouth i said cement not concrete... big difference!!! think before you chime... concrete would prolly work too tough they use that round pool areas, driveways and it cracks... lol nope guess it wouldn't work
AQUARIUMS Dams, oilrigs, dock supports, bridges, lighthouses all use cement... good to know!!
I'm not even sure where to start. If you're this comfortable spewing this much incorrect information in one breath, I'm not sure it's worth correcting you.

Cheers!

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Good luck man.

But am I the only one who thinks that trying to seal a liner to your window is going to be way more difficult that what you already tried?

I know you're frustrated, but you're also 99.999% done with the thing. You have a pinhole leak to find. That's it.

The liner to the window thing is going to be a can of worms... not to mention a PITA with removing the window and all that entails.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
nolapete;4602566; said:
It wouldn't be about saving money. It would actually cost more to go with 1/2" plywood and hardi board over it. The combination would be approximately 1" thick and immensely less giving than the 3/4" plywood.
Ok, belated thanks for the explanation.. I was just curious.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
spiff;4707644; said:
Good luck man.

But am I the only one who thinks that trying to seal a liner to your window is going to be way more difficult that what you already tried?

I know you're frustrated, but you're also 99.999% done with the thing. You have a pinhole leak to find. That's it.

The liner to the window thing is going to be a can of worms... not to mention a PITA with removing the window and all that entails.
I'm not removing the window. I'm removing the visquene that I used to test to see if the leak was from the seal on the window. Which I'm confident, that it's not.

Sealing the liner around the window will be very easy. 2x6 frame coated with rubber coat screwed in with deck screws. The liner will be sandwiched between the tank wall rubber coat and the rubber coat on the frame.

The tank will be filled to seat the liner and test for leaks in the bulkhead fittings before the liner section that covers the viewing window it cut out. That was my original plan and is how my friend does the windows on his tanks. Although, his glass sits on the back of a hard rubber gasket attached to the liner with rubber cement and mine is inset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store