4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
you should prob make your own thread. But I would suggest doing some research on here sense im sure you can find your answer.

sschop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
hamburg, germany
Hey Pete, im new to MFK and this is actually my first ever post. Thought i would use it for some words of encouragement, seeing as i just finished reading your whole thread (took me a while lol!). Hope your doing better health-wise, and that you get your project back up and running soon! Amazing tanks so far, cant wait to see the finished product :)

Liquidplants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2010
Long Island
Welcome to MFK!

Get well soon Pete!

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
sschop;4783141; said:
Hey Pete, im new to MFK and this is actually my first ever post. Thought i would use it for some words of encouragement, seeing as i just finished reading your whole thread (took me a while lol!). Hope your doing better health-wise, and that you get your project back up and running soon! Amazing tanks so far, cant wait to see the finished product :)
Thanks! I'm finally getting back to normal. Still don't have full energy yet, but we have a 3 day weekend this week so that should help. Planning for the wedding has been taking just about all of our time. That on top of helping Theresa get her bearded dragon business setup and learning about breeding various insects has taken a lot of time. We're going to end up using dubia roaches as primary food and black soldier fly larvae to supplement for the high calcium content. We have two pairs and an extra male so far.

The liner should be ordered in the next few weeks. Hopefully, everything after that will go without a hitch. I need to get it done soon as the fish in the 210 have gone wild. I've lost several fish in the past month due to aggression. Last night I found one of my adult exCichlasoma bocourti on the floor dead. He evidently knocked the egg crate out of the way which allowed him to flop on to the floor.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Good Luck Pete - just keep at it bro

Iafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2008
Des Moines, IA
well.... I just read pretty much the whole thing the last couple of days, I have a comment to maybe help.... If I remember correctly you said the rubber liner guy told you that you could spray it on with a gun. Would that not allow for a better application ? Perhaps you could get a spray gun, borrow a air compressor if you don't have one... take the other guys left over rubber liner that he offered to ship to you.... take a couple days and just spray the crap out of it... at least 10 coats or so... I think this should really help do the job....

I agree with the concept that you were only putting on small bandade over the "wound" per say... and then when you filled it in started back again.... with a nice and fluid application of 10 or so more layers.... you should have enought coverage over the "wounds" lol to seal it for good.

I have really enjoyed your build, and wish it all the best. Since you haven't ordered the pond liner yet and won't for a few weeks as you pointed out.... plus you believe in your rubber product and said it was your application method, change your method, spray it on. and lets get some water in there....

also... maybe you can get some more of the tape you once used on the bottom and line the tank with it around all areas that maybe be leaking in your opinion... if there is another material you can use instead that is cheaper... that would work as well.... it would be great if you could just cover the entire thing and use that as "ground zero" and everything under it as just extra...

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Iafishkeeper;4802436; said:
well.... I just read pretty much the whole thing the last couple of days, I have a comment to maybe help.... If I remember correctly you said the rubber liner guy told you that you could spray it on with a gun. Would that not allow for a better application ? Perhaps you could get a spray gun, borrow a air compressor if you don't have one... take the other guys left over rubber liner that he offered to ship to you.... take a couple days and just spray the crap out of it... at least 10 coats or so... I think this should really help do the job....

I agree with the concept that you were only putting on small bandade over the "wound" per say... and then when you filled it in started back again.... with a nice and fluid application of 10 or so more layers.... you should have enought coverage over the "wounds" lol to seal it for good.

I have really enjoyed your build, and wish it all the best. Since you haven't ordered the pond liner yet and won't for a few weeks as you pointed out.... plus you believe in your rubber product and said it was your application method, change your method, spray it on. and lets get some water in there....

also... maybe you can get some more of the tape you once used on the bottom and line the tank with it around all areas that maybe be leaking in your opinion... if there is another material you can use instead that is cheaper... that would work as well.... it would be great if you could just cover the entire thing and use that as "ground zero" and everything under it as just extra...
I guess Pete will have his own response to this, but if I was pete, I would be thinking:

Adding more rubber coat over top of rubber coat that is already not doing the job seems like maybe throwing good money after bad. Putting a liner in is virtually guaranteed to result in a seal, with the only points of question being the window seal and bulkheads.

10 coats of sprayed on permadri would be quite a lot of permadri, probably worth the cost of the liner or more. Also it would take quite some time to cure. Also, since he hasn't tried spraying the product down before, it will take some time and waste to get the technique right.

Using fabric and spraying from the beginning may or may not have been a more effective approach, but trying to administer (more) bandaids at this points seems unlikely to be the best approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store