4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Iafishkeeper;4802436; said:
well.... I just read pretty much the whole thing the last couple of days, I have a comment to maybe help.... If I remember correctly you said the rubber liner guy told you that you could spray it on with a gun. Would that not allow for a better application ? Perhaps you could get a spray gun, borrow a air compressor if you don't have one... take the other guys left over rubber liner that he offered to ship to you.... take a couple days and just spray the crap out of it... at least 10 coats or so... I think this should really help do the job....

I agree with the concept that you were only putting on small bandade over the "wound" per say... and then when you filled it in started back again.... with a nice and fluid application of 10 or so more layers.... you should have enought coverage over the "wounds" lol to seal it for good.

I have really enjoyed your build, and wish it all the best. Since you haven't ordered the pond liner yet and won't for a few weeks as you pointed out.... plus you believe in your rubber product and said it was your application method, change your method, spray it on. and lets get some water in there....

also... maybe you can get some more of the tape you once used on the bottom and line the tank with it around all areas that maybe be leaking in your opinion... if there is another material you can use instead that is cheaper... that would work as well.... it would be great if you could just cover the entire thing and use that as "ground zero" and everything under it as just extra...
The spray grade of the Permadri products requires special spray equipment (eleven grand to purchase) to apply. It's a two nozzle sprayer that uses the liquid rubber out of one nozzle and calcium chloride solution out of the other. The calcium chloride solution causes the liquid rubber to set up instantly.

The problem, as I've said a thousand times if I've said it once, is NOT in the coating. The problem is in my construction. I didn't shim between the concrete and the bottom of the wall closest to the french doors because I didn't think a solid wall of wood would give any.

I think at that point I have a shear situation after filling 30" deep. It's my fault and I know better now. I don't want to throw any more money at the project on an unknown. A liner is a definite solution.

The liner is what I was going to use from the beginning. The Permadri provides an excellent backup for the liner, so it's not money wasted.

The main thing I suggest anyone building a tank like mine do is to use 1/2" plywood and Hardi board sandwiched together. Tape and seal the seams on the plywood then tape and seal the seams on the Hardi board.

I'd use Permadri again in a heartbeat and stand on my decision to use the product. Given a proper foundation, it works as it is supposed to.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
It's frustrating to me to not have it finished, but seeing that we're just two months away from the wedding I can't complain. We're trying to have a garage sale this weekend, so after that a lot of extra stuff will be gone from the house. It's been far too cold in the fish room to open it up and move stuff outside so that I can work in there. There's about 6" of water still in the tank from the last test fill, so I want to get that out and get the tank dry. I also still need to remove the visquene and boards. I really hate daylight savings time. I get home and it's dark.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
nolapete;4809071; said:
It's been far too cold in the fish room to open it up and move stuff outside so that I can work in there.
Wait, wait, wait. What? It's been cold there? Like 60F cold? :p

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
You live in New Orleans and you're talking about how cold it is? LMAO

nes999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
IL
nolapete;4809071; said:
It's frustrating to me to not have it finished, but seeing that we're just two months away from the wedding I can't complain. We're trying to have a garage sale this weekend, so after that a lot of extra stuff will be gone from the house. It's been far too cold in the fish room to open it up and move stuff outside so that I can work in there. There's about 6" of water still in the tank from the last test fill, so I want to get that out and get the tank dry. I also still need to remove the visquene and boards. I really hate daylight savings time. I get home and it's dark.

our average for this is week is like 20:) and thats a warm front coming through.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
Younglin;4810464; said:
You live in New Orleans and you're talking about how cold it is? LMAO
Believe it or not it is cold in louisiana, today I even had to go as far as putting on a long sleeve shirt but I did need to take it off around noon.

nes999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
IL
broken;4810547; said:
Believe it or not it is cold in louisiana, today I even had to go as far as putting on a long sleeve shirt but I did need to take it off around noon.

how warm was it? Ive never been south during the winter.
around here we were short sleves in the low 50's high 40's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store