4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
Pete, I was looking throught the thread for the 3rd/4th time because I didnt fully grasp the seal around the viewing window. Once I slowed down, I think I figured it out. The viewing window sits in a frame. Along the front/sies of that frame you have attached with staples/Dow795 several pieces of hard rubber to act as spacers/cushions. The window is sealed along the front and sides with Dow795 and the back edges will be covered with liquid rubber coated wood with the liquid rubber overlapping onto the viewing window. I also recall you stating that the Dow795 sticks well to wood and actually bonds with rubber but I dont recall you saying how it bonds to the acrylic? Does Dow795 bond well to acrylics unlike other silicones?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
There's one piece you're missing. There's a hard rubber gasket around the inside of the window that the back frame goes over.

The front "seal" is actually only to cushion the acrylic. The seal around the the 2" side of the acrylic and the back seal are what waterproofs it.

Dow 795 bonds somewhat better to acrylic than regular silicone, but only if you sand the contact area.

If you want to understand the frame, take apart a regular picture frame and look at how the glass sits in the recessed part.

shua

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2009
kenmore wa
i want snow dam it

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
I just don't get it. Fresno, CA (home of permi-dri) is set to be in the 40's/50's for the next 10 days. Thats the most northerly part of the route.. I guess if they shipped 2nd or 3rd day air it would go through louisville ky or memphis, and it would get cold there, but the cost of shipping 15 gallons (100+ lbs right?) air would be insane. I'd imagine they're shipping via a freight carrier.

I can't believe a company who's product isn't sold in stores could stay in business if they can't ship any product for this long of a period every year.

Have you spoken to them? Offer to ship them an insulated box with a dozen hand warmers?

What am I missing from the picture?

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
nolapete;3809221; said:
Uggh, snow everywhere else and warmer temps here. I wonder how long it's going to take before I can have the Pond Coat shipped.
Maybe we can organize a bucket brigade of sorts to get you your permadri. Someone can pick it up, toss it in their car and hand if off to the next person in line....after a couple dozen people, you'd have the permadri and we can all watch the paint/fill process! I live on the east coast, so I am not much help with this!

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
It ships ground and 3 5 gallon containers weigh more around 65-80 lbs. a piece rather than 8.5 lbs. per gallon like freshwater. 195-240 lbs. shipped air would be quite expensive. I'd think more so than a heated truck. And even going air, you're not guaranteed that the freight is going to be kept above 50 degrees. I can't count how many times I've had boxes of fish left out in near freezing weather. That's why I lost the first pair of festae Dan sent me.

Permadri was who told me the shipping would be near triple when I was going to order last month. My $800+ total jumped to well over $1000. I just have to wait it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store