4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fish4me

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
va
Please excuse my ignorance or not quickly understanding the viewing window setup.
I have been following this build thread and I have to say it is amazing. The pictures are fantastic and the progress is awesome.

Pete, thanks for all the guidance for my 500 gallon build!

I am still confused about the window and how you installed it. I will be using glass but will probably be following your template as I am also waiting for my Pond Coat to arrive and will use Dow to install the window.

So, am I correct here:
1. you framed out the viewing area with lumber (2 x 4's), this was brought above the bottom of the tank level

2.with the Dow, you adhered the rubber gasket all the way around the window to the frame (did you find the gasket at a regular hardware store, is it referred to as something specific or special material)?

3.Placed window within the gasket and sealed it to the rubber gasket?
(how was it sealed)
4.Will seal around the window with rubber coat so that coating will actually go across the edges of the window?

Even though I haven't yet figured out the window this is a great build and very interesting thread.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Start by taking the back off of a regular picture frame. See how the glass sets in the recess?

Now, for my window. The entire wall of the tank is made of 2x6s including the frame around the window. Inside of the 2x6 frame that goes around the window, a 2x4 frame is placed flush with the front of the tank. This gives a 2" recess for the window to set against just like the glass in the picture frame.

Lesson learned:

Put the Dow 795 or silicone on the glass or acrylic and on the frame, especially the front seal that is against the 2x4 frame.

I used 1/4" hard rubber pieces about 6" long x 1" as spacers for the front and sides and 3/8" or 1/2" hard rubber spacers on the bottom.

If I had to do it over, I would have put a 1/4" thick 1" wide gasket around the entire face of the 2x4 frame.

The hard rubber was cut at a a rubber supply house. It's not available at a regular hardware store.

I didn't place the window within the gasket. I don't know what you mean by that.

The primary seal on the window is the space between the side of the window and the 2x6 frame. The entire 2" deep slot is filled with Dow 795.

The secondary seal on the window is the hard rubber gasket 1.5" wide around the back side of the window. It is bonded to the acrylic and the primary seal with Dow 795. It will be coated with Pond Coat. The hard rubber provides a bridge between the Dow 795 and the Pond Coat. Both will bond to the hard rubber whereas it's not known whether they will bond to each other.

Hope that answered your questions. If it didn't, let me know what didn't get answered.

Oh and be sure to sand acrylic before putting silicone or dow 795 on it. Helps the bond immensely. Just sand the place where the silicone contacts. Not the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store