5 of the Most Abused Fish in the Industry

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Bowfin by far.

I hate stupid (or totally thoughtless) laws surounding the regulation of native freshwater fishing.

There are like a half a dozen of the seventy-some species of Snakehead that can present serious challenges to the native environment. Not only do the nads come up with a ban on all species of Snakehead! There are ACTUAL DNR rules that REQUIRE you to kill them if you do happen to catch them.

The poor Bowfin is being slaughtered because fishermen who catch this completely and totally unrelated species to the Snakehead decide that it either is a, or far too closely resembles the unrelated fish to risk severe fines and do the "safe" thing, in the blinded eyes viewing nature through a hole in the ***hat, and behead the poor thing!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
1. Pacu
2. Oscar
3. Goldfish
4. Mega-Cats (RTC, ID, TSN, Pleco)
5. Bettas

They are most abused fish in my books.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Its funny that I stopped in at Petsmart because I needed to get some supplies and while looking at the fish i noticed it said that a Midas cichlid reached 8" on the info tag. These guys easily hit 12". So the abuse of these types of fish also come from a lot of misinformation from stores themselves.

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
screaminleeman;4562279; said:
Bowfin by far.

I hate stupid (or totally thoughtless) laws surounding the regulation of native freshwater fishing.

There are like a half a dozen of the seventy-some species of Snakehead that can present serious challenges to the native environment. Not only do the nads come up with a ban on all species of Snakehead! There are ACTUAL DNR rules that REQUIRE you to kill them if you do happen to catch them.

The poor Bowfin is being slaughtered because fishermen who catch this completely and totally unrelated species to the Snakehead decide that it either is a, or far too closely resembles the unrelated fish to risk severe fines and do the "safe" thing, in the blinded eyes viewing nature through a hole in the ***hat, and behead the poor thing!
But for real, Is this even comparable to the misfortune of goldfish. They are bred in small cramped tanks as food, to die in bowls and ponds, be stunted, swallowed by drunks, and other horrible fates.
At least the bowfins get to experience freedom and die relatively quickly.

KING1307

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Ontario
honestly, i feel bad for all fish that are in the retail game, their either CB fish and sit in a holding tank at a fish suppliers warehouse in a small 20g with 100 others until a pet store buys them and holds them in their tank with another 20 or 30 others until its sold to a house hold who will probably stick it in a smaller or unfit tank, except for those lucky fish who get scooped by a mfker, am i right? haha
orrr
the fish is picked out of its happy habitat and stuck in an aquarium where it has new restrictions like its never known in its life no matter the size. Although there is another side to this argument. Taking into account that the tank is perfectly fit to house this fish, the fish now doesn't have to worry about predators and now has food handed to them with a bunch of potential mates, to me, sounds like the life

kjfan1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Central Iowa
www.djiowa.com
Walmart is the reason GSP's and "Dragon Fish" are abused by children. I bought one of each from my local walmart so that something in there could live in paradise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store