5 of the Most Abused Fish in the Industry

burzumaske20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Illinois
The worse I seen with Oscars at petsmart is,baby ones missing fins,because the idiots decided to put a Midas with those two oscars.....

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
I always hate seeing the artificially dyed fish at my LFS.

dirtbikerider

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Louisiana
pacu mom;4553979; said:
I agree. My husband picked up this 55 gallon tank at a moving away yard sale with two large pleco, 4 7-9" oscars and 2 15" pacu

Poor pacu had to smash faces and tails into the glass to turn around.
I know this was a couple pages ago but that pic makes me sick

gt1009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
That top five list from the OP is the best list I could think of. After working at an LFS you really get to see the amount of people coming in for those specific fish over and over again. People want oscars because they are "mean", plecos to "clean" the tank, pacus because wal-mart says they get 8 inches, and the others because you can "keep them without a filter in a bowl". Luckily good LFS employees can help to stop that by suggesting things like otto cats or africans instead of some of these fish.

Chicklette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
For sure, I totally agree with that. Oscars are kept in tiny tanks and get HITH and look sick and bettas kept in jars. People also don't give what goldfish need and keep them in tiny tanks. I would also say jags, small tanks because people don't realize just how big they get. And Dovii's.

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
Bettas
Pacu
Flowerhorns
Parrots
Goldfish
Common Pleco
Oscars

Whats worse is the fish that are being abused in their natural habitats. 97% drop in tuna in 40 years is unacceptable as well as the overfishing of asian aro's. The tuna are a different industry though.

keni

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
new york
as far as this list goes i would say any fish that is sold at a wal-mart has the worst life...

snag96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Putnam Station
It really turned my stomach when I found out about the dye injection that goes on. I have to agree with the Walmart comment. I have seen some pretty hideous things going on in their tanks. Makes you want to buy the fish to save them, but then it is helping them to do the same to others. Double-edged sword.

B.Ho

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2010
Underground
More specifically than goldfish, comets... I know they're super cheap but a lot of people get them and put them in fish bowls or cram 10+ in a 10 gallon tank not knowing they can max out at 1' and reach 8"-10" easily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store