Dainichi vs NLS. Let's have a real discussion on which is best!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I looked at some photos on the Dainichi site...... Before & after types...... Funny how the color of the fish AND the color of the backgrounds changed in the after photos! ; )
You're not the first person that has commented about their "before & after" photos. Being a simple layperson when it comes to photography & photoshop I'm not qualified to respond to those types of comments. :)

bobgobucks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2008
Rockport, TX
Seems to me that NLS represents at minimum, a better value. This is a simple conclusion. I know my fish like Dainichi and seem to be thriving. But next trip to Austin and they will be dining on NLS. What flavor and size should I get for Lake Malawi Haps?
Size of fish ranges from 1.5-4.5 inches

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
cchhcc;2795010; said:
Ex Large Fish Formula. I just buy it in the huge buckets (along with a couple of other varieties) several times a year.

All my large fish take it just fine, but as with anything you may have to convert them from what they are accustomed to.
I will order some this week, looks more like what I need. You think it will my dovis any fatter?

NotoriousSway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Muncie, IN
bobgobucks;2796550; said:
Seems to me that NLS represents at minimum, a better value. This is a simple conclusion. I know my fish like Dainichi and seem to be thriving. But next trip to Austin and they will be dining on NLS. What flavor and size should I get for Lake Malawi Haps?
Size of fish ranges from 1.5-4.5 inches
get the cichlid formula

1.5" - 1mm
4.5" - 2mm-3mm

I just feed all mine (1"-5") the 1mm, though.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My 8-9" haps do fine on the 2mm pellets. If the pellet size is too big the fish tend to chew a lot, and expel a lot, which ultimately means your filters need to be cleaned more often and you waste money on food.
Bob's fish would be best suited to a 1mm pellet.

Staszek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
RD.;2792276; said:
The fact that someone would promote a product that is chalk full of grains & grain by-products, such as dehulled soybean meal, wheat germ meal, wheat flour, corn gluten, feeding oatmeal, potato protein, and wheat gluten, pretty much sums up in mind how little they understand about fish nutrition. All dry foods require a binding agent such as wheat flour, if they didn't contain any binding agents they would simply crumble into powder. The trick is limiting the binding agents to as little as humanly possible.
http://
Neil's here. :headbang2

Neil, I was wondering........what does NLS use as a binding agent?

I heard it was clay and I didn't know that fish could eat clay.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

NotoriousSway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Muncie, IN
Staszek;2799127; said:
Neil's here. :headbang2

Neil, I was wondering........what does NLS use as a binding agent?

I heard it was clay and I didn't know that fish could eat clay.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

its Dainichi that uses clay.

From their website...
"all Dainichi formulas contain calcium montmorillonite clay"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store