Fish Room Redux - 3600+ Gallon Plywood Tank Build

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Getting closer and closer to paying for the acrylic with sales of my current tanks and fish.

festae pair $250
115 tank and stand $200
75 Oceanic tank and stand $200
4 yoyo loaches $20
in sump powerhead powered protein skimmer $20
75 tank only $75
20H tank and stand and 15H $40
haitiensis pair $70
------
$875

Only $800 more to go with a lot more stuff for sale

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Another sale pending - $370 left to go!!!

Delivery will be between 1 and 4 tomorrow. Fedex Freight requires appointment for residential delivery. I was happy to find that out! Just need people to show up now. Another person cancelled and someone else is iffy.

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
nolapete;3385429; said:
also sold 4 silver arowanas for $180, so only $620 more to go!
Wow, we can't even get one in Australia for that price, at the moment the price is around $280 for a 15cm fish :(.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Not a happy camper. People here, Fedex delivered, put $100 worth of Dow 795 on frame, go to put acrylic in place and it's 3+" too long and 2+" too tall. That's hardly within allowable tolerances of what I ordered to fit what we built.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Someone may have asked in the beginning but this thread is so long now! Do you have a sketch or explanation for how the seal is going to work around the acrylic? If I have this pictured correctly in my mind, you are siliconing the acrylic directly to the wood frame, and later sealing the rest of the tank with your sealer of choice, but how are you sealing that joint? Are you going to use sealer over the silicone gap and onto the edge of the acrylic? That sounds a bit iffy to me - general construction method (as I'm sure you know) is to seal the wood first and then seal the acrylic or glass to the wood. Howcome you chose to do it differently?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Disappointing day, but we'll rebuild it to fit.

Fedex Freight, before we started, wet help (was pouring when Fedex arrived), what $1675 worth of plastic looks like, prepped plastic, about to start caulking, disappointment of having to put plywood cover on opening.

fedex.JPG

before.JPG

wet.JPG

1675.JPG

prep.JPG

caulk.JPG

disappointment.JPG

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
cvermeulen;3388766; said:
Someone may have asked in the beginning but this thread is so long now! Do you have a sketch or explanation for how the seal is going to work around the acrylic? If I have this pictured correctly in my mind, you are siliconing the acrylic directly to the wood frame, and later sealing the rest of the tank with your sealer of choice, but how are you sealing that joint? Are you going to use sealer over the silicone gap and onto the edge of the acrylic? That sounds a bit iffy to me - general construction method (as I'm sure you know) is to seal the wood first and then seal the acrylic or glass to the wood. Howcome you chose to do it differently?
It's called using the correct product for multiple materials. Dow 795 bonds to both wood and acrylic, yet it stays pliable after curing. You can actually scoop this stuff out after it cures unlike regular silicone. It's what public aquariums use.

If you recall, the frame that holds the acrylic is like the front of a picture frame. The acrylic is inset with the Dow 795 not only on the front, but on the entire 2" edge as well. Hard rubber gasket pieces 6-8" and 1/4" and 3/8" shim the acrylic to keep it from squeezing out the Dow 795.

A 2x6 frame secures the acrylic in place and will have Dow 795 between it and the acrylic and a bead completely around the interior of the frame as well.

Once that is complete, the acrylic will be masked and the Blue Max elastomeric will be sprayed over the 2x6 frame and a little over the Dow 795 bead and 1/2" of the acrylic. This will be hidden by the external frame of the tank.

It was designed this way, so that if I chose to use a pond liner instead of the Blue Max, the frame would serve as a bulkhead for the liner. The frame will be screwed in place and covered with Blue Max. I'll still be able to remove it later if I choose to use a liner on top of the Blue Max. Based on necroanis' tests with Blue Max, I doubt that will be the case.

Understand now?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store