Fish Room Redux - 3600+ Gallon Plywood Tank Build

moosipher

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Excellent! Cool photos.. really starting to take shape :)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I was wiped out today, so all I did was go pick up a 75 from my sister's house that they had picked up for me. Turns out it has 3 chips on the side, so it can't be used as an aquarium. The chips are on the front and back glass, otherwise I'd replace the side and have another 75. I put it back up on Craigslist. The guy I bought it from had it listed as a 55 for $50, so I listed it as a 75 and priced it at $100. LOL

I put the gravel, sand, and rocks back in the 210 then filled and drained it a couple times with treated water to clean them out a bit. It was smelling real fishy. I hooked up an Aquaclear 500 and my xP3 to it to clear the water. The 55 gallon wet/dry that is on the 110 right now will be moved to the 210. I have to move that tank to the garage from the sunroom before I can get to it since the filter is between the tank and the wall. 210 smells earthy now instead of fishy, so good to go.

I'm hoping to have the fish room cleared out, the 210 filtered properly, and the canopy painted before Thursday. Thursday, I'm getting 15 4-5" silver arowanas from a local guy. He has them eating Hikari pellets and market shrimp. They'll be in the 210 until the big tank is completed then that will be their permanent home. The 15 will be thinned to my 5-7 favorites once they are 12"-18" and the rest sold to recover some of the cost of building the big tank.

I promise that I'll post some progress pics tomorrow.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I've decided to leave the french doors to the outside in place. They won't interfere with the build and it's going to be too much of a pain to finish the outside of the house since I don't have any more of the same type of siding. I'll also need them to remove the sections of the tank if I ever decide to sell my house.

moosipher

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Nottingham, UK
The work that you have put in so far is really inspiring.. Keep it up - not so far left to go :)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Sitting here watching the 15 5-6" silver arowanas I bought tonight swimming in my 210. My motivation to get the big tank done. I'll probably sell half of them at 18" to recoup my initial money and pay for part of the tank.

I should be able to get the rest of the fish room cleared out this week, so construction should start next week. I was going to build out the room first then do the tank, but it makes more sense to do it all at the same time.

I am hosting our regional aquarium society meeting on March 28th, so I want to be well into construction by that date.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store