Fish Room Redux - 3600+ Gallon Plywood Tank Build

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
My idea for securing the acrylic window from the inside got me thinking about the construction process. The front wall has been my biggest concern since it is a load bearing wall and is shared by the dining room.

It's one thing to have a tank of this size in a basement, garage, or workshop, but an entirely different beast when you're putting a wall of water pointed at your primary living space. A basement can contain the water and a garage or workshop generally will have means of quick exit for it. A flood from a tank in your primary living space means a lot of damage that can't be claimed on a homeowner's policy. It's kind of like building a bonfire in your living room then trying to get them to pay to rebuild it after it burns down. Well, not that drastic, but you get the picture.

I'm going to take a different approach to building this tank. Instead of the normal, build the tank then put in the front viewing window, I'm going to build out the front wall and viewing window then build the tank behind it. This will make it very easy to install the front window.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
nolapete;2875103; said:
That's pretty cool stuff and they say completely fish safe too. Your link doesn't work, but I went to the site directly and checked it out. I sent them an email asking if it bonds to wood and a couple other questions.
It bonds to wood...from what I understand they kinda know about people making plywood tanks and will help you with what you need from them.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'm really excited about this week. Daylight savings time gives me a lot of time after work to have light to work. Demolition of the fish room side of the viewing window wall starts this week.

I've designed a way of encasing the viewing window, so the front wall of the tank will be built first. It's a load bearing wall, so a lot of work needs to go into it. Building the front wall first allows me to utilize the french doors to move the almost 500 lb 48x96x2 viewing window into the room. The rest of the tank will be constructed after that. I'm planning on having the viewing window here in 2 weeks.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Uggh! Moving my nasty 50 breeder marine tank took longer than I expected. Spending time sort of cleaning it up didn't help speed things along. I moved all the zoanthids to the sump for the night. I have been up since 5 am, so I'm out of steam. I have to move the sump to the garage before I can start demolition, but I'm limiting myself to an hour working on topping off the tank and the rest of the stuff I have to do to it. Demolition will begin tomorrow night regardless of what else is going on.

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
For some reason when I see your avatar out of the corner of my eye I see a purple sea turtle....

Good luck with this! I cant wait to see the end product

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
NOLAGT;2875260; said:
It bonds to wood...from what I understand they kinda know about people making plywood tanks and will help you with what you need from them.
DO NOT USE SANITRED! Search MFK for the threads about them!!! Majorly bad experiences all around!

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
First off, if you're seeing a purple sea turtle looking at my avatar, tell me what drugs those are you're using. LOL

You don't have to worry about me using Sani-Tred. I've already got the story from TheFishGuy.

I'm still debating on what I'm actually going to do with the tank; either Blue Max or my original plan to use a liner like my friend's 2 2600 gallon tanks. Regardless of what I seal the tank with, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to use Pond Armor to coat the pieces of my viewing window casing.

Tomorrow night will make this project a reality when I put the crowbar through the sheetrock :D I know that all the prep has been a yawn fest. Things should start picking up now.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
wow_it_esploded;2886874; said:
DO NOT USE SANITRED! Search MFK for the threads about them!!! Majorly bad experiences all around!
Really?!
1/23/07
"I've used Sanitred on concrete and wood tanks with great success, just follow there instruction, they know what they're doing and are a great help."

Doesn't sound like a bad experience to me?

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store