Making my 800 gal larger.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Pharaoh;2480524; said:
At the certain point that he is expanding the tank, the width of the tank will increase, which will increase the pressure exerted on the glass.
:grinno: Nice try though Take a glass with you into a swimming pool... pull it down into the water till you no longer can without it filling with water....Then go to the Lake (since your inland no ocean to do this with) and do the same experiment... Result... The glass holds it back no matter how much water is around it... make the glass taller and you run the risk of it breaking (Pressure is based on Depth.. not volume or width, those only change the bracing needs)

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
basslover34;2483206; said:
:grinno: Nice try though Take a glass with you into a swimming pool... pull it down into the water till you no longer can without it filling with water....Then go to the Lake (since your inland no ocean to do this with) and do the same experiment... Result... The glass holds it back no matter how much water is around it... make the glass taller and you run the risk of it breaking (Pressure is based on Depth.. not volume or width, those only change the bracing needs)
The width of the tank adds to the force exerted on the sides of the tank. With more water comes more pressure.
If the width of the tank doesn't make any difference, please explain why they would have made the link below a sticky.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139898

Glad to see you were prepared with 3/4" in the first place. You have absolutely no worries there. You could always set up an Ohio/Indiana MFK meet and we will all come over and help.

Phleborrhagia

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
Rome, Georgia
What about covering your insulation first ;), lol. Love your vids, sorry to hear about your tank - but the addition to it sounds interesting. What are you going to do about your filtration setup though, you're not going to have all that much space left for serviceing your tank in that room after the addition is put on.

jem454

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
buffalo
TFG, followed your original build from the start, and started my fishguy clone soon after. Just wanted to let you know that my dryloked 600 is still holding up after 2 years. So drylok is still an option if you choose.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Pharaoh;2485762; said:
The width of the tank adds to the force exerted on the sides of the tank. With more water comes more pressure.
If the width of the tank doesn't make any difference, please explain why they would have made the link below a sticky.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139898
I think your confusing Bracing needs verus Glass thickness. Ameli0's thread is based on Commercial standards. those numbers are all to keep Bowing to a minimum which would be the reason for glass failure, Adding bracing via the Thickness in an All glass tank is the most plesant looking way to do so... is it required to be done... No, If the span is to long then it's the Bowing which will casue the failure... Same Princaples are easily looked at with a 40G Long Vs a 40G Wide tank... Both are the same glass thickness but a 40G Long has a center brace when a 40G Wide doesn't... because the chances of a bowing effect breaking the glass in a 40 L is much higher than in the 40 W.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

Of course the pressure wont change for the glass side, that's basic physics. (funny you guys are even discussing this) pay attention however, to the pressure of the new 6' wall; that will double. Your going from 3' to 6' and part of that will be deeper. That will be the largest change in pressure from the old structure to the new structure. The old 3 foot section might need to be "beefed up"

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Egon;2496398; said:
Of course the pressure wont change for the glass side, that's basic physics. (funny you guys are even discussing this) pay attention however, to the pressure of the new 6' wall; that will double. Your going from 3' to 6' and part of that will be deeper. That will be the largest change in pressure from the old structure to the new structure. The old 3 foot section might need to be "beefed up"
The Old frame will be fine with these changes... the biggest pressure increase will be inside that Pit which is being added... which if I understand correctly is going to be dug into the ground so... Not really much of an issue

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
The new section will not be "dug" underground. That drop is the drop to the floor. The existing tank is up off the ground. Interesting debate on pressure and glass and such. Honestly I don't believe "beefing up" of anything will be necessary. Once you see how the framing is you'll see what I mean. I have trouble explaining things some times in written word. That's why I've decided to just do video updates :D

This weekend I'm going to try and get all the lumber together to get more done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hmzmNM-9j8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IxMbB2s68w

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store