My 180 Gal Brackish Tank

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
amazing brackish set up...Very nice aquascaping..and clean filteration/plumbing. Well done!

Bump for an update!

brackishdude

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
insideout
kdv9tb;3498083; said:
Brackishdude, I was wionderinf what kind of sand/ substrate you used, and if you would advise doing the same thing in a 90 gallon? I love the look of your tank, and might be trying to copy it, if thats ok. Also, what happens when you siphon the sand? Does the sand get removed in this process?

This tank sat unfilled for about three years while other projects took priority, and I looked at a lot of substrate over that time.

It is pool filter sand. Graded for size uniformity, a bit larger than typical "sand" but just barely. It vacuums fine with a standard gavel vac, I just pinch the siphon tube to control the flow.

All pool filter sands I looked at were not the same , with the one I got seeming to have the larges grains. I wanted something right between large sand and very small pebbles, didn't quite get it.

I would do it again, unless I could find a sand just a smidge bigger. If I could have gotten "red flint" gravel or the equivalent, I would have, though I probably would have felt just as marginally unsatisfied (a hair too big).

BTW, I really think the MTS play a big role in keeping the sand bed from turning into a putrid hypoxic pit by constantly burrowing through it. The unseen unsung heroes!

brackishdude

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
insideout
I built a light rack to replace the cheapo "shop light" NO fluorescent two bulb that was to be "temporary", then finally died. I used square aluminum pipe with tinker toyesque joints. I has three VHO output 110W 4 ft lamps driven by a 430 ice cap electronic ballast.

I also have ongoing progress with the new sump.

Here is the old sump. Note cracks in left side of closest panel.

Here are some plans along the way, but were too complicated to have made in acrylic or glass cheaply enough.

Here is the new sump (glass) and the graphic of my final design including acrylic filter box (hovering above)

and here is the filter box (holds bags and has holes drilled in the bottom for spreading water over the bioballs) that will nest into the bioball chamber portion of the sump. Aint pretty, but will work!

A bit more work and it'll be ready to go under the tank!

SOme more pics (snail shots taken after turning the lights back on for pics, the MTS have come out!))

I think the light is too yellow, so I'm going to try some other bulbs

brackishdude

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
insideout
blazin_dragon18;3715961; said:
dang! very nice. but how come it still looks dim even w/those bright light output?
The driftwood gives off tannins that yellow/darken the water. Most of the pics I've posted in this thread have been taken after large water change. These current pics are more consistant with the normal appearance of the tank, though it looks better in real life. COmpared to the old shop lights, it's noticebly brighter.

Plus, I have two aquasun bulbs flush with the left side of the tank making that side pretty bright, while the middle bulb is flush with the right side of the tank, and is an actinic (blue), frequently used on reef tanks to provide certain wavelengths to corals and bring out colors in corals/fish. It provides considerably less light (note the darker right side of the tank), and doesn't do anything special in bringing out colors in the fish. It will soon be replaced.

pupumole;3715988; said:
u should get a toxotes blythii :D

I made serious effort to find one of these when I first saw two pics several years ago. Honestly? I now think they are mythical, the photos "shopped".

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
brackishdude;3716287; said:
The driftwood gives off tannins that yellow/darken the water. Most of the pics I've posted in this thread have been taken after large water change. These current pics are more consistant with the normal appearance of the tank, though it looks better in real life. COmpared to the old shop lights, it's noticebly brighter.

Plus, I have two aquasun bulbs flush with the left side of the tank making that side pretty bright, while the middle bulb is flush with the right side of the tank, and is an actinic (blue), frequently used on reef tanks to provide certain wavelengths to corals and bring out colors in corals/fish. It provides considerably less light (note the darker right side of the tank), and doesn't do anything special in bringing out colors in the fish. It will soon be replaced.

I made serious effort to find one of these when I first saw two pics several years ago. Honestly? I now think they are mythical, the photos "shopped".
i've seen a few more photos of these fish floating around, confirming the fact that they exist, just not sure when or how we're going to get some in the U.S. :(

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
amazing setup. what is your specific gravity at? reason I ask is that years ago I started a brackish tank with mono argenteus and archers, and ended up converting it to full salt (sp. 1.020). I still have the monos today but some are starting to show their age (a few are from my original school from 2000). there are pics of them in my fishroom build thread in my sig.

curious to see if you have yours up at salt water levels or if it is still a true 'brackish' setup.

ps I love your scats! I tried keeping them but they were too aggressive in my setup, but its only a 65g..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store