My DIY Sump Design

johnnycoolxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Grandma's Basement
Bump. Thanks for the drawing jcardona. I'm going to use this design for my sump.
2 Questions though:

1. is the plastic pegboard around the filter sock needed? I have a filter sock tied to a piece of glass with a hole in it and just going to put it on top of the tank edges.

2. how much do you space each section of the tank? I'm going to use a 60g tank (48"L x 15"w) so would you say about 10" is enough for the filter sock section? How about the other sections?

Great thread for helping out people new to sumps, thank you.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
johnnycoolxx;4438486; said:
Bump. Thanks for the drawing jcardona. I'm going to use this design for my sump.
2 Questions though:

1. is the plastic pegboard around the filter sock needed? I have a filter sock tied to a piece of glass with a hole in it and just going to put it on top of the tank edges.

2. how much do you space each section of the tank? I'm going to use a 60g tank (48"L x 15"w) so would you say about 10" is enough for the filter sock section? How about the other sections?

Great thread for helping out people new to sumps, thank you.
1) the peg board is for allowing water to flow into the sump if the filter sock gets clogged. That way you wont overflow the sump onto the floor. If you have a "safety valve" just incase your sock clogs up faster than you expected then your all set. The peg board is strong and holds the sock well and also allows water to flow through it, just in case.......
2) Get your filter sock first then use it as a guide. The less room for the filter sock the better but you need enough room for it to be open all the way. It's sort of a guess lol. The next section is about an inch just to flow the water back up. The rest of the sump is uses for bio filter media. The more the better. Last part holds the pump and heater and what ever else you want. Make this area as small as possible. If your using an external pump great! They take up less room.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Egon;4438541;4438541 said:
1) the peg board is for allowing water to flow into the sump if the filter sock gets clogged. That way you wont overflow the sump onto the floor. If you have a "safety valve" just incase your sock clogs up faster than you expected then your all set. The peg board is strong and holds the sock well and also allows water to flow through it, just in case.......
2) Get your filter sock first then use it as a guide. The less room for the filter sock the better but you need enough room for it to be open all the way. It's sort of a guess lol. The next section is about an inch just to flow the water back up. The rest of the sump is uses for bio filter media. The more the better. Last part holds the pump and heater and what ever else you want. Make this area as small as possible. If your using an external pump great! They take up less room.
^ what he said :)

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
what happened to using scrubbies j?
that tank is saaaaweeeeettt btw! love the aqua scaping!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
scalesandfins;4439336;4439336 said:
what happened to using scrubbies j?
that tank is saaaaweeeeettt btw! love the aqua scaping!
haha scrubbies suck! i'm all ceramic baby :naughty:

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
hey now.... dont let zenzo here you say that ;)
i like my scrubbies :)
but ceramic is prob better
mine are cheaper tho :) more money for fish.....but you have better fish :( dang i lose either way
curse you j!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
scalesandfins;4439798;4439798 said:
hey now.... dont let zenzo here you say that ;)
i like my scrubbies :)
but ceramic is prob better
mine are cheaper tho :) more money for fish.....but you have better fish :( dang i lose either way
curse you j!
hahah! i got lucky, i got a 60lb+ bag of ceramic media when i bought my 400g. sold the tank and kept the media, never getting rid of that stuff!

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
dang!!! thats a good deal!
why did you sell your 400?
do you have any cichla babies?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store