Spin-off Thread: How does Kensfish Food Stack Up Against NLS?

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
HrHagel;4084208; said:
BS
But untill a FULL list of details regarding each food is released, this debate is actually rather pointless in my opinion, as it will just be opinion versus opinion, where the better speaker for theire product will come out on top, yes?

Can't say I agree with that. More like "opinion/information versus no comment at all" as I see it. No other food manufacturer ever participates in the discussions at all, and RD is just about on every forum I know about. Most of the larger forums are sponsored by manufacturers yet they still don't participate in any meaningful discussion. That says something to me!

Also, I don't see how you could dismiss all the information already presented as pointless. Have you read some of the other similar threads?

Please explain the didn't eat for two months yet spawned thing...

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
RD.;4083450; said:
No one here has to believe anything that I have to say about fish nutrition, but unless I missed it I don't see anyone challenging any of the info that I have provided thus far.
Looks like I may have to step up to the plate. I don't have even a fraction of the time and energy to put into posting on here that you seem to though. My hat is off to you for taking the time to write out the sheer quantity of information that you have. You clearly know your stuff and are a fabulous resource to folks on here that want to learn.

RD.;4083450; said:
Say what? A fish will typically excrete the same color as the color of the food that it consumes. Have you never seen the color of waste from a fish that has eaten green food all day? What color do your fish excrete, clear? Seriously, I'm baffled by this comment. See more info on this further down ....
To play devil's advocate.... All my fish poop brown in varoius shades. NONE of them eat brown food?!? My plecos eat veggies and green algae wafers, yet their poo is brown. My tilapia eats a huge assortment of items and poops brown. The pacus eat mostly veggies and plant matter, along with a few nuts and fruit bits, yet poop brown. My shellies and guppies eat algae flakes, and poop brown. My carnivorous marine fish all eat meat products such as salmon, scallops and shrimp and they poo.... BROWN. I had never seen a fish poop orange before feeding NLS.

RD.;4083450; said:
For a starter, "fish meal" products are not nutrient stripped, and to suggest so is ludicrous.
Are you serious? Right up until you said that, you have been sounding great. The heating processes that make fish meal denature the vitamin profiles horrifically. The only thing left in fish meal is proteins. All other nutritional value must be added in separately. The amino acid profile that results from fish meal depends heavily on the species of fish used to make the fish meal and the process used to manufacture it. To say there is a huge variability in quality is an understatement. And yet all get sold under the same title "fish meal".

RD.;4083450; said:
Last time we crossed paths, you asked for a link to the U of FL article on fish meal, and then disappeared. Perhaps you would like to revisit that discussion, and read it again?

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297394
I never saw your response. Thank you for the link. I will try to revisit it in the near future. Although it seems to be nearly identical to the conversation we are having here.

RD.;4083450; said:
A high quality fish meal is not only nutrient rich, the amino acid content is most certainly able to be utilized by fish. The following article was written by R.D. Miles, Professor, Department of Animal Sciences, and F.A. Chapman, Associate Professor, Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences; Florida Cooperative Extension Service, University of Florida.

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/200/the-benefits-of-fish-meal-in-aquaculture-diets

Fish meal has the same amino acid content as the fish products used by Omega. Just because a marketing genius like Denny Crews says so, don't make it so.
You really like that article. Are you RD Miles? The benefits to using whole fish over "fish meal" are not focused on the amino acid profiles. If fish meal didn't have such a palatable amino acid profile it wouldn't be so widely used.

RD.;4083450; said:
Also, when formulating a feed, it doesn't matter how long the list of fish ingredients are on a label, the total is still the total, whether ones uses 500lb's of herring, 500 lb's of cod, or 500 lb's of 10 different species of fish.

My main concern is the total percentage of the formula, and the amino acid content of that percentage.

Any hobbyist that's truly interested in what they feed their fish can research the amino acid profiles, as well as the crude protein, and even the digestible protein of most ingredients used in commercial fish feed.

Obviously the main players with regards to amino acids will be the fish/marine based ingredients.
I must have missed the argument about how many ingredients were in any one food. There is more to food and determining its quality than protein and amino acid content. Fish don't digest many starchy and carbohydrate products well. I know NLS uses a grain style binder, but cannot find what percentage of their food product is grains. Grains in the food mean undigested matieral passing out of the fish and fouling the water just as I experienced. All foods have components that pass undigested, but some have more than others.

There is a LOT more to food than the protein content and quality.

RD.;4083450; said:
You can also find the NRC's (National Research Council's) amino acid stats for the 4 most popular forms of fish meal, including Herring meal, in the link below. Also note the CP (crude protein) content of each meal listed. Herring meal scores higher than the others.
http://www.fao.org/ag/AGA/AGAP/frg/AFRIS/Data/332.HTM

While the overall quality of all fish meals are ultimately based on the quality of the raw product, as well as the processing methods, when it comes to overall protein content & their amino acid profiles, Herring meal & South Antarctic Krill meal are a difficult combo to beat.
Thanks for sharing. I don't think this is being questioned by anyone.

RD.;4083450; said:
We all know that a fish under stress, be it from aggression, breeding, poor water quality, whatever, requires a higher nutrient content than a betta that floats carelessly around in it's own 20 gallon tank. Those extra nutrients, while perhaps not required to keep a fresh water fish healthy long term, may in fact help keep them disease & illness free when other diets would not.

Most commercial foods designed for freshwater fish will give fairly decent overall results, some are simply more nutritionally sound than others. Something as basic as the vitamin C content found in a food can have a major impact to a tank full of cichlids forced into a glass cage, as the higher the stress levels in a tank the more important the level of vitamin C becomes. Yet I see hobbyists who are apparently satisfied with a feed that contains less than 100 mg/kg of vitamin C. That might be adequate for their fish, in their tanks, but I choose to use a food that offers a much higher inclusion rate than that.
I think we all agree to this. The very question being presented here is which food might have a better quality to it. Feeds that finish manufacturing with sufficient ascobic acid in them typically start manufacturing with an excess of 500mg/kg. Different ascorbic acid isomers react differently to different manufacturing methods. I don't think any commercial feed makers would present their post manufacturing ascorbic acid quantities when they can get away with publishing the premanufacturing levels. The isomers that are heat stable cost more than 3x what the heat labile ones cost. If natural ascorbic acid levels exist in the ingredients making the need to add them during manufacturing unnessary, the post manufacture levels are actually going to be much higher than those artificially added. Whole fish and whole algal products do contain natural levels of ascorbic acid. Not true of "meals".

RD.;4083450; said:
In the end all of the little things tend to add up, and it's the little things that can also separate the so-so foods, with the premium foods. Please note that the full list of micro-nutrients & their various levels found in NLS have never been disclosed to the public.

Perhaps if I was able to post on a public forum what you "don't" see on a label, some might find some of this easier to understand, or accept. Obviously there are times such as this that I wish that I could do just that.

I'm sure that others still wouldn't give a rats behind one way or the other, and that's fine by me too. :)

Cheers,
Neil
Noted. As I stated before,the time you are putting into educating people on here is remarkable. This post alone took me almost an hour to write. I need to go teach a class, and simply can't add more right now.

There is no value to our posting against each other. We can agree to disagree.

Karen

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Effect of broodstock nutrition on reproductive
performance of fish
M.S. Izquierdo
a,), H. Ferna´ndez-Palacios a, A.G.J. Tacon b

a
GIA, Grupo de InÕestigacio´n en Acuicultura, P.O. Box 56, 35200 Telde, Las Palmas, Canary Islands, Spain

b
The Oceanic Institute, Makapuu Point, Waimanalo, HI 96795, USA

Received 1 October 2000; accepted 31 December 2000​
Abstract

If nothing else, just read the abstract.

http://www.grupoinvestigacionacuicultura.org/ufiles/Izquierdo et al., 2001 (Aq).pdf

One of probably scores of studies that came to the same conclusion.

Obviously nutrition plays a key role in the fecundity of fish.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Karen - you & I probably agree on more than you think, but unfortunately some of what you touched upon I can't share on a public forum. I'm sure that you can understand why that is.

I have to leave town this morning & will attempt to get back here later today/tonight, and respond to some of your various comments. And yes, posting in these types of discussions does take up a lot of my time, so I'm glad to see that at least a few people appreciate the information being supplied. As much as some people may feel otherwise, these types of discussions do not help pay the bills. :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's been a long day in the saddle, so hopefully the following makes sense, and doesn't contain too many spellin errors. :)

To play devil's advocate.... All my fish poop brown in varoius shades. NONE of them eat brown food?!? My plecos eat veggies and green algae wafers, yet their poo is brown. My tilapia eats a huge assortment of items and poops brown. The pacus eat mostly veggies and plant matter, along with a few nuts and fruit bits, yet poop brown. My shellies and guppies eat algae flakes, and poop brown. My carnivorous marine fish all eat meat products such as salmon, scallops and shrimp and they poo.... BROWN. I had never seen a fish poop orange before feeding NLS.
I had trouble getting my pacus to eat it, so I tossed it into the tilapia. He at it! But he's pooping like a man on a mission and its all bright orange.
Have you never seen a pleco excrete waste after cleaning a tank full of algae? I can assure that it's waste will be green, perhaps with a brown tone to it, but it's still dark green.

I can only tell you what I see in my tanks, and it's pretty much what you described above, various shades of brown, but with a slightly orangish tone to it. It's certainly not what I would call "bright orange". I honestly have no idea what took place with your fish, but I wonder if feeding a 'new' food to your tilapia (a herbivore?) with such a high dietary level of protein etc, caused some of the food to actually not be fully assimilated? I have no idea, but I certainly wouldn't be feeding the 10mm NLS pellets to any species of fish that's been classified as a herbivore.
That's like putting rocket fuel into a Kia. lol

As with any new food, one should also always feed very sparingly for several days, which will allow the fish's intestinal flora to adapt to any potential change a new food can sometimes cause.

Are you serious? Right up until you said that, you have been sounding great. The heating processes that make fish meal denature the vitamin profiles horrifically. The only thing left in fish meal is proteins. All other nutritional value must be added in separately. The amino acid profile that results from fish meal depends heavily on the species of fish used to make the fish meal and the process used to manufacture it. To say there is a huge variability in quality is an understatement. And yet all get sold under the same title "fish meal".

Do you actually think that any manufacturer relies on fish (meal or otherwise) to provide the optimum vitamin values in their food? The amino acid profile is all that matters for that portion of the equation, vitamins & other micro-nutrients can easily be made up elsewhere, at much higher (and more optimum) levels. How do you reckon Omega makes their fish food? Those "cooked" proteins become denatured as well, be it pellets that get cooked in the extrusion process, or flakes that get cooked in a drum. Pre-processing, most raw ingredients used in fish foods start out fresh.

Of course all fish meal is not equal, I've stated just that many many times over the years, including in a post on MFK a few months back:

Not all fish meal is made from processing plant leftovers (waste).
There are many types & grades of fish meal, while some are indeed made from leftover processing plant waste (such as white fish meal) others are comprised of whole fish, such a herring meal. There are low ash fish meals, fish meals with high ash content (excessive scales & bones), low temp fish meals where the vast majority of nutrients are left intact, and even fertilizer grade fish meal. (yes, it's used as fertilizer!)

Not all fish meals are created equally, and the wholesale price will typically determine the overall quality.

Some of the leading experts in the science of fish nutrition believe that there are growth promoting factors found in fish meal that have yet to even be determined by the scientific community. The bottom line is, the biological value of a quality fish meal is quite high.

And no, I'm not RD Miles, but both Miles & Chapman are what most people would consider experts in this field, and their opinions certainly hold a lot more weight than that of your average hobbyist that posts on fish forums.

In the same post quoted above, I also stated the following:

Grains, binders, and low cost fillers.

Some starch/carb content is not an issue in a fishes diet, and in most cases cannot be avoided to some degree. Wheat flour is a very safe binding agent, there only becomes a problem when excessive grains/carbs/starch are utilized in the feed, as most species of fish can only assimilate so much starch. While a carp/koi may be able to utilize as much as 30-40% carbs, most species can only assimilate in the 20% range, with some carnivores falling into the 10% max range.

When feeding low cost generic foods with excessive grain content, not only does much of what goes in, come right back out the other end, if too much is consumed at once these types of feeds can also cause gastrointestinal issues in some species, such as those that are prone to float and/or bloat.
(eg. fancy goldfish, Tropheus moorii)

Also, there is a BIG difference between terrestrial based plant matter (such as soybeans, peas, etc) and plant matter from aquatic sources, such as seaweed, kelp, spirulina, and various micro-algaes. The former contain known anti-nutritional factors, which can inhibit growth, and cause other health issues if used in excess, or if not processed properly. (such as at low temps)
So on that note we are in complete agreement.

I think we all agree to this. The very question being presented here is which food might have a better quality to it. Feeds that finish manufacturing with sufficient ascobic acid in them typically start manufacturing with an excess of 500mg/kg. Different ascorbic acid isomers react differently to different manufacturing methods. I don't think any commercial feed makers would present their post manufacturing ascorbic acid quantities when they can get away with publishing the premanufacturing levels. The isomers that are heat stable cost more than 3x what the heat labile ones cost. If natural ascorbic acid levels exist in the ingredients making the need to add them during manufacturing unnessary, the post manufacture levels are actually going to be much higher than those artificially added. Whole fish and whole algal products do contain natural levels of ascorbic acid. Not true of "meals".

Certainly, ascorbic acid in fish food can originate from the raw ingredients, as well as from vitamin premixes. Having said that, I don't know of a single large scale commercial fish food manufacturer that relies solely on their raw ingredients for their micro-nutrient levels, such as vitamin c. (including Omega One) If they do, then IMO those post processing levels would be seriously lacking in some areas.

If natural ascorbic acid levels exist in the ingredients making the need to add them during manufacturing unnessary, the post manufacture levels are actually going to be much higher than those artificially added.
I'm afraid that you lost me on that one? The end results will depend on a number of factors, including what each manufacturer considers optimum, or in many cases, adequate levels of each micro-nutrient. Manufacturer ABC might consider 100 mg/kg of ascorbic acid to be "more than adequate" for their feed, and adds no additional ascorbic acid beyond what is found in their non-meal raw ingredients.

Manufacturer XYZ may have 500 mg/kg of ascorbic acid derived from their various raw ingredients, yet still adds an additional 500 mg/kg of L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, the stable form of vitamin c that is currently used by many manufacturers.

In the latter formula, the fact that there is ascorbic acid derived from their source of protein, or not, becomes a non issue, and in fact contains what I would personally consider to be a much more optimum level of ascorbic acid vs the formula that relied solely on their non-meal raw ingredients.

With regards to
the argument about how many ingredients were in any one food.
That was in reference to the list you posted for Omega. (the marketing genius)

Imagine if this was the ingredient list .....

INGREDIENTS: Whole Herring, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

Suddenly it doesn't look so impressive, does it?

Which is why I previously stated ............ Also, when formulating a feed, it doesn't matter how long the list of fish ingredients are on a label, the total is still the total, whether ones uses 500lb's of herring, 500 lb's of cod, or 500 lb's of 10 different species of fish.

What impresses most people about Omega is that looooong list of "Fresh Fish from Alaska" .... when in reality unless you know the actual inclusion rates of each raw ingredient listed, you really don't know what's going on behind the scenes. In fact, if one combined the Wheat flour & Wheat gluten, it's quite possible that "wheat" could become the second ingredient listed by weight.

See how that works? I'm not saying that this is the case with Omega products (my legal disclaimer) but what's commonly referred to as ingredient splitting, most certainly does take place within the industry.

As an example take a close look at the following ingredient list on one of the more well known wafers on the market, marketed as so called Premium Algae Discs.

Here's what's listed by weight (in descending order) on the ingredients list;

Spirulina Algae Meal, Corn Gluten Feed, Corn Meal, Corn Distilled Dried Grains, Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ, Wheat Gluten, Wheat Middlings, Linseed Meal, Canola Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Soy Protein Concentrate, Pea Protein, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Corn Flour, Rice Flour, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Soy Protein Isolate, Ground Barley, Calcium Carbonate, Soybean Meal, etc .........

I suspect that if one was to clump together the various grains as a single listing, it would read more like this;

Corn, Wheat, Spirulina, Vegetable Oil ........ with this food containing FAR more grain & grain by-products (corn & wheat), than anything else.

I wonder how well this product would sell if they had marketed it as Premium Corn Discs?

As much as it pains me to admit it, there are a lot of smoke & mirrors & marketing games that take place within this industry, and the rules & regs regarding fish food labels are rather loosey goosey.

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD.
Say what? A fish will typically excrete the same color as the color of the food that it consumes. Have you never seen the color of waste from a fish that has eaten green food all day? What color do your fish excrete, clear? Seriously, I'm baffled by this comment. See more info on this further down ....

Quote:

I agree with the orange poo observation. I have a Titanium Flowerhorn that I feed NLS 3mm exclusively. Poop is orange.

P4214362.JPG

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Maybe we should have some before & after shots. lol

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
RD.;4087969; said:
Maybe we should have some before & after shots. lol

I breed my jags. i have a 14in male and 12in female.

I have fed two different batchs different foods. NLS provided the best growth and color rate of any food fed before. I feed all my personal fish NLS and Cichlid gold. For my spawns i feed just ebay super grow stuff. I care about my fish and feed them the best i can. It really just comes down to keeping your fish healthy and really considering whats best for them.

The guy that said his wife is a vet, lol o boy. Her being a vet you think she would advise a little more on this topic of food and nutrition. Vets these days know nothing about nutrition. She probably is advising people to buy science diet, Lmao.

RD- has a right to be bias.... The food is F ing good food. Like he said, it doesn't take anyone with amazing brain power to read an ingrediants list on the back of the bag... Red flags toss up on 99% of fish food. He obviously works for NLS because he knows his ****. I would like to see another food rep spit out what this guy does. They couldn't, because they work for a money saving company at the cost of your fish's health over a long period of time. All they have is price, and they ride it well. Once again the food you feed is up to you and he stated that, you can feed what every you want. But keep in mind your saving money at the cost of your fish's health, quit trying to be ignorant to that. Accept it and please don't think by ripping apart facts and true research of foods with retarded opinions will make you fish live longer.

btw my fish poop orange as well with nls, and they poop red with cichlid gold...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store