Spin-off Thread: How does Kensfish Food Stack Up Against NLS?

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Kogo;4082657; said:
yes you have, and very well, and then some more, and even included trivia ... LOL

I do appreciate your knowledge, but you come across as a salesemen workin a bit too hard to sell his product, impress us all with your verbosity, and shut out all other comments.

your response to me, for example, could have just as easily been a quick statment pointing out the difference between farm and private collections and that the food stock used at New Life Exotic has changed to NLS... but instead we get a lengthy discourse on the number, size, and gallonage of the New Life farm including everything but a planogram. Then you discuss your relationship with Pablo as if it were a credential. All this without aknowledging the point that a decission was made to feed a food of lesser quality for economical reasons and the fish produced were concidered premium in every way. The fact that they changed over to NLS once it became economicaly viable does not change that.

Perhaps the discussion of NLS (a premium top nutritional brand @ $12/lb) Vs Ken's Fish (an economical alternative bulk food @ $5/lb or less) is a bit apples and oranges, but let people post without repeating yourself over and over.
To be fair, and you both have good points, I enjoyed the background info on New Life Exotic. Maybe I'm missing some past history between you guys or something.

Also, pond fish have access to all sorts of natural dietary supplements that tanked fish do not. Perhaps that made a premium food unnecessary for pond fish? That doesn't factor in the other benefits they enjoy as compared to tanked fish.

Kogo

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
South Florida
cchhcc;4082680; said:
To be fair, and you both have good points, I enjoyed the background info on New Life Exotic. Maybe I'm missing some past history between you guys or something.
no history, no hard feelings, just a couple of guys with opinions.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
cchhcc;4082648; said:
When'd you do that? Didn't the 10mm just come out? That stuff is wayyyyy different than any other NLS I've used. Definitely for the monsters.

I feed mostly the smaller stuff.

Last week. Its fresh in my mind.

I had trouble getting my pacus to eat it, so I tossed it into the tilapia. He at it! But he's pooping like a man on a mission and its all bright orange.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My apologies in advance if I miss anyone, it's been a long day, and it looks like I have another long one in front of me.

Modest Man ..... it's not that difficult, and this certainly isn't my first rodeo.

If I was biased to the point of attempting to convert every last hobbyist in the free world to NLS, then why would I state the following back on page 1?

IMO if you prefer to feed that type of quality of feed to your fish, buy directly from a feed mill, or consider one of the various feed mill foods that are sold at local hardware stores. You'll save a considerable amount of $$$ over the long haul.
I was attempting to help, Ed, and hopefully I have/did.

Also, while I sell NLS flake food, and I sell a ton of it, I never recommend feeding flake food to cichlids, not even NLS. I personally don't like flake food, it's messy, wasteful, and leaches nutrients extremely quickly once it hits the water. That's my honest unbiased opinion.

Kogo - you opened that door amigo, not I, and I honestly have no idea why you would take offense to anything in my response to you? Most hobbyists have no idea what the feed costs can run in a large scale commercial operation, or how much of a total percentage the total operating costs are in relation to the total feed costs. I felt that was an important point, and one certainly worth mentioning, and I still do.

BTW - I mentioned my relationship with Pablo so that it would be crystal clear as to who I am, and my association with New Life. And for that I should now apologize? C'mon .....

Would you have preferred that I use a different IP addy, and a bogus ID, and come in under the guise of joe hobbyist? Look, I'm a straight shooting no BS kind of guy, and seeing as Jgentry didn't know who I was, I felt that I should be honest & open with him from the get go. And for that I am now taken to task?

No one here has to believe anything that I have to say about fish nutrition, but unless I missed it I don't see anyone challenging any of the info that I have provided thus far. Even for those that don't feed NLS, it's still valid info, and can be used to anyones advantage that chooses to.

Kdrun -
I found when I fed NLS the fish pooped a rather orange poop. This is clearly the result of what ever "orange colored" ingredient is in the food passing through the digestive tract undigested. Digestibility is important, and I am not sure I would rate NLS very good in that department.
Say what? A fish will typically excrete the same color as the color of the food that it consumes. Have you never seen the color of waste from a fish that has eaten green food all day? What color do your fish excrete, clear? Seriously, I'm baffled by this comment. See more info on this further down ....

Even the all sacred NLS brand is full of "meal" products. I would much rather see ingredients list fresh products in the ingredients list rather than the highly processed and nutrient stripped "meal" products. I am not suggesting this food is perfect, but I do think its better than most on the market.
For a starter, "fish meal" products are not nutrient stripped, and to suggest so is ludicrous.

Last time we crossed paths, you asked for a link to the U of FL article on fish meal, and then disappeared. Perhaps you would like to revisit that discussion, and read it again?

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297394

A high quality fish meal is not only nutrient rich, the amino acid content is most certainly able to be utilized by fish. The following article was written by R.D. Miles, Professor, Department of Animal Sciences, and F.A. Chapman, Associate Professor, Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences; Florida Cooperative Extension Service, University of Florida.

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/200/the-benefits-of-fish-meal-in-aquaculture-diets

Fish meal has the same amino acid content as the fish products used by Omega. Just because a marketing genius like Denny Crews says so, don't make it so.

Also, when formulating a feed, it doesn't matter how long the list of fish ingredients are on a label, the total is still the total, whether ones uses 500lb's of herring, 500 lb's of cod, or 500 lb's of 10 different species of fish.

My main concern is the total percentage of the formula, and the amino acid content of that percentage.

Any hobbyist that's truly interested in what they feed their fish can research the amino acid profiles, as well as the crude protein, and even the digestible protein of most ingredients used in commercial fish feed.

Obviously the main players with regards to amino acids will be the fish/marine based ingredients.

Here's a good read on South Antarctic Krill Meal (Euphausia superba) which is the main ingredient found in NLS. (it's orange - like the fishes poop that eat it)

http://www.aquafeed.com/article.php?id=439&sectionid=5

You can also find the NRC's (National Research Council's) amino acid stats for the 4 most popular forms of fish meal, including Herring meal, in the link below. Also note the CP (crude protein) content of each meal listed. Herring meal scores higher than the others.
http://www.fao.org/ag/AGA/AGAP/frg/AFRIS/Data/332.HTM

While the overall quality of all fish meals are ultimately based on the quality of the raw product, as well as the processing methods, when it comes to overall protein content & their amino acid profiles, Herring meal & South Antarctic Krill meal are a difficult combo to beat.

Here's a little trip down memory lane for you.

From the ASTF annual report 2000

Fish Friendly OmegaSea President and CEO Denny Crews loves fish. He has a small aquarium at home and another one in his office on the docks in Sitka.

He likes fresh water fish. He likes salt water fish and now he's in the business of making fish food. "I've been either commercial fishing or saving fish most of my life," he said.

Before founding OmegaSea, Crews worked as the national sales representative for Tetra, the largest fish food supplier in the world. The problem was the primary ingredient in most fish food is fishmeal, a substance with low nutrients because it is processed before it goes into fish food. "The nutritional level just isn't there," Crews said.

Crews decided to head back to Alaska and find a way to use fresh
fish waste from commercial processors to create a nutritional food for fish. To kick start the business, Crews went to the Sitkabased processors and asked for free fish. They were more than happy to oblige. Crews supplies the processors with totes so they can dispose of the fish heads and carcasses as they clean and gut the fish. The processors, Crews said, are more than happy to get rid of the byproduct because it saves them the time and cost of grinding and dumping the waste.

Once back in his plant, Crews grinds the remains of salmon, cod and other species into a slurry with vitamins and other ingredients to produce one of the fastest selling flake fish food on the market today.

Now, with the help of project funds from ASTF plus matching funds from Alaska Growth Capital, Crews has a $1.5 million project to buy equipment to develop a new product line fish pellets.

If successful, the venture could provide up to 50 fulltime jobs in
Sitka and a new, stable industry. Already OmegaSea serves 1,600 retail stores throughout the U.S., including 12 in Alaska. The New York Aquarium uses OmegaSea. So does Aquarium Concepts in Oklahoma. Meanwhile,
Crews has just finished putting together his first order for a distributor in Japan, where the home aquarium market is second only to that of the U.S. Both the U.S. retail market and the Japanese market are ready for pellets, he said.

"We're interested in strong growth," he said. "In dry aquarium fish food, roughly 60 percent of the market is flake fish food, and 40 percent of the market is pellets. Presently, pellets are becoming more popular. The ASTF funds will allow us to expand into this growth market, helping us to increase sales and become a more rounded player in the industry."

It will take Crews about a year to develop the product and get it to market, he said. After he's conquered the pellet market, he'll venture into hatcheries. Crews said he plans to look at the Northern Southeast Regional Aquaculture Association in an attempt to provide pelletized food for the hatchery fish, which may guarantee a stronger, healthier return of the species to their
spawning grounds.

Then it will be on to dog and cat food using fresh fish waste,
which will bring Crews full circle. It seems his favorite fish in the
home aquarium is a dogface puffer fish that looks something like a small puppy.
As I stated at the beginning of this post, this isn't my first rodeo.

jGentry - feel free to run all of the feed trials that you like, it's not like it hasn't been done before, in controlled environments. Your results may or may not tell you anything. Either way, good luck!
And again, I have no problem if you or anyone else chooses to feed a lower cost feed.

But consider this ......

What if those same elements that are potentially missing in captivity for a Moorish Idol, or an Achilles Tang, or at the least not provided in sufficient quantity, or of lower quality, in a diet designed for freshwater fish, could help boost the immune system of those freshwater fish?

We all know that a fish under stress, be it from aggression, breeding, poor water quality, whatever, requires a higher nutrient content than a betta that floats carelessly around in it's own 20 gallon tank. Those extra nutrients, while perhaps not required to keep a fresh water fish healthy long term, may in fact help keep them disease & illness free when other diets would not.

Most commercial foods designed for freshwater fish will give fairly decent overall results, some are simply more nutritionally sound than others. Something as basic as the vitamin C content found in a food can have a major impact to a tank full of cichlids forced into a glass cage, as the higher the stress levels in a tank the more important the level of vitamin C becomes. Yet I see hobbyists who are apparently satisfied with a feed that contains less than 100 mg/kg of vitamin C. That might be adequate for their fish, in their tanks, but I choose to use a food that offers a much higher inclusion rate than that.

What if the inclusion rate of garlic used in NLS has been shown (in published papers involving aquaculture) to increase the overall digestibilty of protein, carbohydrates, and fat, as well as to lower the total bacteria count within the intestine, muscles, and water column. This too could give an edge to a fish under stress, or fighting certain pathogens, yes?

When it come to using garlic in fish food, the real key is using the correct inclusion rate of garlic, which is something that New Life has paid close attention to over the years. As the science changes, or more information becomes available, inclusion rates have been adjusted to optimum levels.

In the end all of the little things tend to add up, and it's the little things that can also separate the so-so foods, with the premium foods. Please note that the full list of micro-nutrients & their various levels found in NLS have never been disclosed to the public.

Perhaps if I was able to post on a public forum what you "don't" see on a label, some might find some of this easier to understand, or accept. Obviously there are times such as this that I wish that I could do just that.

I'm sure that others still wouldn't give a rats behind one way or the other, and that's fine by me too. :)

Cheers,
Neil

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
Well Neil, you supply a heavy dose if information- most of which I'm still sorting through. A bit repetitive but you drive the message home. I will be scrutinizing the ingredient lists of the foods I buy more closely now thanks to you and I suspect a few others here will too.
Billy Mays would be proud!
BTW, any more links that you could provide would be great!

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
:ROFL:
To be honest, I think he's doing pretty good with his current gig.
But back on topic..... kinda.

I've come to see the frequency with which my fish spawn and the size of those spawns as the best indicator of how well I am providing for my fish. This may be a flawed approach- especially considering the fact that many cichlids are relatively easy to breed and will spawn in a cesspool if provided a viable mate and a piece of slate- but assuming that it's not, has anyone observed the benefits of certain foods over others where breeding is concerned?

Several brands claim that their formula will 'promote' spawning and, while I'm inclined to believe that various other factors like water quality and the right environment play a bigger role, I've also been told that 'prepping' fish with certain foods will increase the number of eggs a female will lay. I've also heard that low quality food can cause a female to lay non-viable eggs that can't be fertilized at all. Any thoughts?
:popcorn:

HrHagel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
Denmark
flowerpower;4083961; said:
Several brands claim that their formula will 'promote' spawning and, while I'm inclined to believe that various other factors like water quality and the right environment play a bigger role, I've also been told that 'prepping' fish with certain foods will increase the number of eggs a female will lay. I've also heard that low quality food can cause a female to lay non-viable eggs that can't be fertilized at all. Any thoughts?
:popcorn:
BS

Fish that haven't even eaten for 2 months will still spawn and lay eggs.
I obviously can't say if the amount of eggs would have been larger if given a certain food, but the amount of eggs i had after 2 months of refusing to eat looked pretty damn sizeable to me.

Honestly, even though info like RD is providing can be very helpful and educational, i still think some people put waayy too much effort into this subject (Obviously it's RD's job so that's fair, and obviously other people are just trying to do what's best for theire fish)

But untill a FULL list of details regarding each food is released, this debate is actually rather pointless in my opinion, as it will just be opinion versus opinion, where the better speaker for theire product will come out on top, yes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store