4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Because you'll then have Blue Max on both sides of the seams for extra coverage. It allows me to use only the trowel grade Blue Max in between the Hardie board seams instead of having to tape over them. The trowel grade will fill up to 1/8" gaps and I don't intend to have anything that wide. I should have mentioned the trowel grade in my previous post.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
I still have a hard time grasping the hardiboard logic. I know the pond armor reps recommend it's use, but even with Pond Armor I just don't get it. If it were my build I would blue max directly onto the plywood (well actually if it were mine I'd probably use polyester, but nevertheless) Pete can you help me understand why you're going to use hardiboard? It confounds me :p

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'm still tossing around the idea, but the reason for hardie board is it is extremely strong and it is designed to hold up if it gets wet unlike plywood which will deteriorate if wet. I'm with you. I'd just as soon put 3/4" marine grade plywood with Blue Max on it and be done with it. Which I may very well do. My only concern is the seam tape showing through. I could just put Dow 795 on the backside of the plywood where it joins and forget the seam tape. Lots of decisions to make.

Bartek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
london
uk.youtube.com
dude, I'm just so jealous right now it's incredible, I always wanted big tank but my dad never lets me...

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
It's currently about 4 ft. deep :D and I'm not done yet.

My friend Ken who was helping me with the first build finally has some free time and is stopping by tomorrow around lunch time. I can't wait to see his face when he sees the progress I've made. He's going to be free next week to start helping again, so things will be cooking along!

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
A build of this epic proportion, and you are still undecided on the type of lining and finish....that would scare the siht out of me!!
I am patiently waiting to see the next step!! I'm sure it will turn out!
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
zennzzo;3562122; said:
A build of this epic proportion, and you are still undecided on the type of lining and finish....that would scare the siht out of me!!
I am patiently waiting to see the next step!! I'm sure it will turn out!
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Umm, haven't you read...Blue Max has been the coating I decided to go with from shortly after I discovered its existence. You can track that back in the original thread on this build.

The only thing in question is whether or not I'm going to put hardie board over the plywood and I'm about 99% against it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store