4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXMUFASAXx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2009
wva
amazing cant wait to see it

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
nolapete;3558306; said:
I'm still tossing around the idea, but the reason for hardie board is it is extremely strong and it is designed to hold up if it gets wet unlike plywood which will deteriorate if wet.
I have not heard the opinion of tech people from Blue Max but in general Hardie Board or other cement backer boards are recommended because of the excellent bond of the sealant to the textured cement surface.

Yes, they won't break down in water but if your sealant fails water goes right through them like a sponge.

Cement boards also require a lot more sealant that a smoother plywood. This has been discussed by I think "The Fish Guy" on some of his epic threads. At least I think it was him.

Cement boards are nowhere near as strong as plywood so don't let that be a factor. Again, their biggest benefit is the strength of the bond between them and your first coat of sealant. This strenth comes at the cost of having to use more sealant due to the highly textured surface of the cement board.

nolapete;3558306; said:
I'm with you. I'd just as soon put 3/4" marine grade plywood with Blue Max on it and be done with it. Which I may very well do. My only concern is the seam tape showing through. I could just put Dow 795 on the backside of the plywood where it joins and forget the seam tape. Lots of decisions to make.
I'm not exactly clear what you mean here. But it sounds like you're talking about painting over Dow 795 with Blue Max at the seams? I would not do this unless your already know that Blue Max will bond to the 795.

Even if it sticks don't assume the joint is water tight. These sorts of disimilar joints are the types of places that water can easily work its way through over time.

If you mean putting 795 over the Blue Max at the seams then this may work. But in general when sealing a plywood tank you'll have better luck when you can use a continous layer of your primary sealant without any "cold joints".

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Ohhh I see. To throw a monkey wrench in your soup, I have considered going back to my original plan to have a pond liner like my friends tanks just so I could do the liner folding I came up with. If I didn't have plans to build a pond next, I'd probably do it. It is although one of my fall back plans if there is a problem with the Blue Max.

It's an evolving project. I have the front worked out in my head now. Just need the lumber to do it. I'm heading to get more after Ken stops by.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
CJH, no, I'm talking about putting 795 behind the plywood on the seams where they contact the frame of the tank then Blue Max on the inside surface. Blue Max and Dow 795 will never be in contact with each other. Blue Max won't bond to Dow 795 or any other silicone type product.

Dow 795 bonds to wood very well.

The seam tape, from what I understand, is to cover gaps larger than 1/8" that Blue Max isn't designed to fill. I'm going to confirm this with Ames Research when I place my order. The sheathing will not have any gaps larger than 1/8" for sure and most likely none you could pass a hair through if I have my way. LOL

I have a lot of other experience that I am applying here, so while I may not be able to convey every thought clear enough to paint a picture in your mind, be assured it's in vivid color and detail in my own.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Lots of progress today. Had a good visit with Ken and he's going to start helping out again a week from Monday. That'll make all the gluing and screwing go tons faster. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I'm done.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Just a little perspective.

Yes, that's a 6 ft. ladder
Yes, I'm crazy
No, the front window framing IS NOT finished
Yes, I have more to do to the front
Yes, the spaces on the front will have more upright boards
No, the cutouts are NOT for extra windows
Yes, the cutouts are for plumbing
No, I'm not going to have plumbing in every cutout
Yes, the entire inside will be sheathed with 3/4" marine/exterior plywood
No, I'm not using hardie board
Yes, I have more work to do on the header of the tank
Yes, the walls are completed!

Had to stop to get something to eat, shower, and relax before the Saints game.

PICT0002.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0006.JPG

PICT0007.JPG

PICT0001.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com