4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Thoreau

Feeder Fish
Mar 24, 2009
near Philadelphia
NOLA ,

So happy to see that you are back to the build.....

I am watching and taking notes. I have this garage that I think would make a perfect fish tank.

Well anyway, best of luck with it and i will be enjoying the updates!

Dean Thoreau

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
I followed the first thread although I never posted in it and I got pretty excited when I saw the "revival" thread. But dude that is beyond what I imagined in every way as far as being amazing. That must have taken some serious time to set all of that up.

Also I have a suggestion for coating the inside to make it water proof. I think you should lay down plywood (or the marine grade plywood) like you were planning on doing and maybe fiberglassing the interior or at least just the corners. Then what would you think about using a product called Zavlar (Perma Dri in the United States)? Another member used it on one of his builds and it looks like it is very impressive.

Here's a video:

http://www.liquidrubber.ca/video/NewVideo.html

The last half of the video applies to this build more than the first half but the entire video shows how unique of a coating it is. The only downside is while submerged in water it turns into a dark brown color which is the only choice of color.

I think for a build this big a liquid rubber coating that can flex with the structure and withstand puncture attempts from large fish or decor would work perfectly. To be honest I know a thick pond liner is pretty rugged but personally I would always have that fear that it would take that one nick and it's all over. This is all just my opinion of course. Let me know what you think and good luck with the build.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I was going with Blue Max, but after looking at that video about the memory and puncture strength of Liquid Rubber, I think I'm going to switch to it.

I was going to use a pond liner like my friend's two 2K plus tanks in my original thread. His tanks have been up for many years with no problems.

Thanks for this information. I was concerned about Blue Max's puncture resistance. I never did like the blue color of it either. This is great! You answered a concern I had.

raymondk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
southern california
thats huge

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
nolapete;3566725; said:
I emailed them, so awaiting response. Hoping it's closer to Blue Max in price rather than how expensive Pond Armor is.
From what I read when others ordered it, it costs about $150 dollars for a 5 gallon batch in America. That's not including shipping. If you can find a local supplier I think you can get it for even cheaper. If I remember right, after shipping and everything else one of the other members on here calculated it out to about $40 dollars a gallon provided you order in 5 gallon quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store