4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
spiff;3614011; said:
I understand the sealing theory, but what is going to take the horizontal pressure? Is the acrylic going to sit on your new interior wall your building now, leaving the frame in the wall to stay just a hole? Or is it going to sit in the frame in the wall and you're going to buttress it some how?
Here's a sketch to try to help you understand.

There's a 2x4 frame 3/8" larger on all sides (50-3/4" x 99-3/4") that the acrylic butts up against. This will also have a 1x4 insert glued and screwed to it increasing the surface and compensating for the 3/8" allowed for sealant.

Hard rubber pieces 3/8" x 1" will support the acrylic off the bottom 2x6 to allow for sealant and will also be used to shim the sides and top.

Sealant (Dow 795) will be on the front of the acrylic, sides, and back. (The back will be applied after the plywood sheathing is in place then a 2x6 frame will be around the back of the acrylic. This gives support during water changes to prevent the acrylic from backing off the seal. (A common problem in large conventional builds) This creates a U shaped seal on the acrylic for added leak protection.

2x6s, 1 1x6, and 1/8"-1/4" material will make up columns on either side of the acrylic. These columns attach to the sides of the tank and are assembled in layers just like the sides, so the deck screws go through the board next to it. Construction adhesive makes the column as one solid piece of wood.

The header across the top, yet to be fitted braces the front and caps it off.

The attached angled bracing design will most likely be used. I've attached the second design as another option. With the first design you can see the idea I borrowed from train trestle reinforcing. All sides pull against each other while the water pushes out.

frontframing.JPG

dirbracing.JPG

bracing2.jpg

bracing.jpg

train in trestle_1_print.jpg

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Right on. Thanks for the explanation. So is that a load-bearing wall then? I'm just thinking with all you're doing there, why leave the wall? Because once done you'll have an 8 to 10inch deep window "tunnel" then, right? Even if it is a load-bearing wall, the way you're designing the tank it seems the wall of the tank could easily take its place and increase your overall viewing area.

I hear you on seals breaking. Its why I keep mine filled at all times and do a volume for volume water change to prevent pressure variants from the lowering and raising water levels. It should maximize the life expectancy of seals.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
spiff;3614148; said:
Right on. Thanks for the explanation. So is that a load-bearing wall then? I'm just thinking with all you're doing there, why leave the wall? Because once done you'll have an 8 to 10inch deep window "tunnel" then, right? Even if it is a load-bearing wall, the way you're designing the tank it seems the wall of the tank could easily take its place and increase your overall viewing area.

I hear you on seals breaking. Its why I keep mine filled at all times and do a volume for volume water change to prevent pressure variants from the lowering and raising water levels. It should maximize the life expectancy of seals.
No, it won't be 8-10 inches. It will only be about 5" including the molding around the window on the dining room side. The wall is shared with the dining room. How would you think it would increase my viewing area by removing it? All but about 2" of the window is viewable except for where the seal will be.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I don't think you get how the window is inset into the wall. That's why I told you to open a picture frame and see how the glass is set in it. My build is completely different than most. Everyone else I've seen sets the window against the inside wall. Mine is flush with the inside wall.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
If the acrylic is flush with the inside wall, then you'll have the depth of your 6" tank walls plus the 4" existing wall to make a 10" window portal, right? If that's the case it would limit your interior viewing a bit in terms of side ways viewing.

A top down view diagram helps.. here what I'm picturing:

View attachment p.bmp

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Ah, gotcha. That'll be sweet! Good luck man. Can't wait to see more progress.

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
Pete, you're doing GREAT.. I only wish I could go that big.. Keep it up :headbang2

Now for off topic commentary ... (you started it pete)
nolapete;3612610; said:
Lol, that'd be a great t-shirt. "Carpenters do it with wood."
You can get one here...
http://www.cafepress.com/withwood
Also coffee mugs, bumper stickers, clocks and so-on

wood2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store