5 of the Most Abused Fish in the Industry

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
Richie_ELP;4554879; said:
By the time this topic is retired, basically every fish out there would have been mentioned at least once.

I am a little surprised no one mentioned glow fish and dyed fish in general. Unless I missed a post. I only saw blood parrots mentioned.

It probably sucks to be a captive fish. Or cat, dog, turtle. Everything.
Chrisplosion;4553536; said:
Some other notable mentions:

Jellybean Convicts
Blood Parrots
Black Skirt Tetras aka Fruit Tetras
I don't see a problem with glofish.

Richie_ELP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
El Paso, Texas, United States
Maybe I am just bitter, but I do not like genetically altered glowing fish in my aquariums. Can't even give them a chance. That is really my only reason for mentioning them. At least a danio can live in a little 10g.

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
Richie_ELP;4554894; said:
Maybe I am just bitter, but I do not like genetically altered glowing fish in my aquariums. Can't even give them a chance. That is really my only reason for mentioning them. At least a danio can live in a little 10g.
Genetic stuff doesn't bug me. At this point there are so many they don't need to inject eggs. At least they don't dye them to get that color.

sAroock

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
Melbourne Australia
Im surprise to see Pacu on the list and on top? really?:eek:

around my place, their in reasonable volume for the size with N.F.S displayed and if they go it's like ~$500 a pop. i would think the buyer knows what he/she doing.

but oscars i agree. an intelligent animal needs a comfortable home.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Around here they sell them for about $5 each, and often have pacus with the wrong labels on them. They will label them as silver dollars, piranha etc...

There are a few listed on Craig' list every day.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Clown loaches are another to add to this list. How many people buy 1 or 2 of them to put in their 20 gallon tank? (often at the recommendation of the pet store.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
kdrun76;4555017; said:
Around here they sell them for about $5 each, and often have pacus with the wrong labels on them. They will label them as silver dollars, piranha etc...

There are a few listed on Craig' list every day.
I'm positive that my fish came out of this WalMart tank. The label is partially correct. Pacu definitely grow to 10 inches. What the label doesn't mention is that pacu then grow to 20", 30"+ The price went up--they used to sell for about $4.50 each.

The baby pacu are soooo little, that the oscar babies look like monsters compared to the pacu. No wonder a local asian restuarant had a 29 gallon tank with 7 oscars and 5 pacu in it.

It would truly be wonderful if pacu sold for $500 each. They probably wouldn't be throw away fish if they cost more :)

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
yeah
Oscar
convicts
common pleco
At the fish store i work at they don't do water change in there tank and they have died fish all the time in there tanks... :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store