5 of the Most Abused Fish in the Industry

niblit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Knee deep in fish
the sad fact is most fish are kept in really bad enviroments.people that think o theyre only fish kill me im sure they wouldnt keep a kitten in a milk crate or their kid in a trunk

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Chrisplosion;4553510; said:
In no particular order, I would say these 5 are probably the worst treated in the industry:

Oscars
Pacus
Common Plecos
Bettas
Goldfish

Anyone agree? Any you think are treated badly?
I believe you have the correct top 5. I do think it funny that I own four of these top 5 critters.

If I was to pick a 6th it wouldn't be another fish. I think # 6 would be a turtle. Red eared sliders adopted for 6 year olds to live in a 10-20 gallon tank that is rarely cleaned.

Richie_ELP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
El Paso, Texas, United States
[/QUOTE]have you ever seen how they are shipped in and stored before they get the dixie cups?

imagine maybe 1-2 ounces of water in 2x2" baggies. sometimes in there for weeks at a time.[/QUOTE]

Ugh I know. I used to see them unpack them at pestmart. No that isn't a type-o either.
A lot of them do not made the trip. It is really sad to see. I also believe the betta by far is the worst treated fish in the industry. They always get the shaft in stores because of their ability to survive in filth.
I don't know which would come up worse in a test. Feeder tank water quality or a two ounce cup of week old betta water. At least the comets are a cold-water species.

I've even seen the paradise fish in cups. They are probably more suited to those little bowls than the betta anyway, being a cold-water species that also possesses the labyrinth organ.

(messed up the quote , sorry)

Tien

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2010
Las Vegas
Bderick67;4554202; said:
Silver arowana, about one in ten are housed in a properly sized tank
Kind of like the one in your Avatar right? J/K! LOL whoever doctored that photo actually did a really good job! I have seen Silvers in small small tanks too. I hate it.

Reptilesfishbirdsmammals

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Arizona
goldfish definently on top..they suffer hard..but i dont see oscars to much as a suffering fish as they get nice homes and get goldfish which leads to hole in the head disease if thats what your getting at and pacus are somewhat up there and bettas actually might top goldfish..etc etc..

TheRealAndyCook

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Canada
Because Cichlids are so hardy I would assume for quality of life, they probably have some of the worst. Used for cycling, over stocked, incorrect stock -> aggression to weaker.

Tho i do agree, goldfish/betta are probably one of the most abused "i want that one" fish...and Plecos are almost always bought for the wrong reason..even by experienced fish keepers.

Edit: I would add Clownfish to that list of "i want that one" but we'll put it in the sub-classification as, "daddy. i want that one"

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
Reptilesfishbirdsmammals;4554267; said:
goldfish definently on top..they suffer hard..but i dont see oscars to much as a suffering fish as they get nice homes and get goldfish which leads to hole in the head disease if thats what your getting at and pacus are somewhat up there and bettas actually might top goldfish..etc etc..
People get them and house them in 20 gallon tank. Its impossible to find one larger than 8 inches in Oregon without Hole in the Head or scars from it. Talking about in stores though, mine is happy and healthy.

IMG_5525.JPG

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I agree, Cichlids. 9/10 times I get people wanting to turn-over cichlids at work. I usually turn them down. The fish are in horrible condition more often then not. when people want a hearty, colorful, fw fish. Cichlids are what they end up with after they've killed everything else... Most are malnourished, HITH, or stunted/deformed.

Richie_ELP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
El Paso, Texas, United States
By the time this topic is retired, basically every fish out there would have been mentioned at least once.

I am a little surprised no one mentioned glow fish and dyed fish in general. Unless I missed a post. I only saw blood parrots mentioned.

It probably sucks to be a captive fish. Or cat, dog, turtle. Everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store