Fish Room Redux - 3600+ Gallon Plywood Tank Build

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Shooting for the 14th or 16th for delivery of the acrylic window. I just need to coordinate the manpower to be here when it arrives. Anyone local who can be available either of those days between 5:30 - 6:30 would be much appreciated.

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
id totally come help you, cuz id like to see it get finished, but i live far away. sorry

nitrofish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
Northern Illinois
nolapete;2972941; said:
yah, that seems to be the problem. All the people I know who are into helping are too far away. Before Katrina, I wouldn't have had any trouble getting help, but most people I knew moved away.
Its pretty easy to see why too. I visited NO two years before Katrina. Its a lovely city.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
How many people do you really need for the acrylic to be offloaded? It will likely be delivered in a hiab truck that has a crane on the back of it anyway, so they can lean it up against your house or something, and then you can worry about organizing the manpower to move it.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
cvermeulen;2977231; said:
How many people do you really need for the acrylic to be offloaded? It will likely be delivered in a hiab truck that has a crane on the back of it anyway, so they can lean it up against your house or something, and then you can worry about organizing the manpower to move it.
Nope, it doesn't come with a crane. It is on a 4x8 skid that weighs about 100 lbs. then the acrylic sheet weighs about 485 lbs. Even if it did come with a crane, it still has to be hand carried across the front yard. The driveway doesn't meet up with the front of the fish room. It runs along side of it. At 600 lbs., sure 6 guys "could" handle the weight, but it's not a coffin or some other easily wrangled container and it DOES matter how it's handled. I'd prefer to have 8 guys on it for maneuverability and for caution sake.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Damn... here we would do that with 3 guys... MAX :D Mind you were more stupid with our bodies than we should be... but 8 guys... trying to crowd around 1 piece seems like more of a pain than it's worth to me... I say 4 or 5 would be good to ensure that it's handled properly!

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
3 guys on a 4'x8' skid coming out of a truck? I'd pay money to watch you guys f*** up that $1700 piece of acrylic. It surely can be done with less than 8. I'd just rather have the flexibility of a few extras. I don't think any of my friends, or yours for that matter, would come out of their pocket with $1700 to replace it if they dropped it because of having too few to do it right.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Hand trucks? fork lift?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store