Fish Room Redux - 3600+ Gallon Plywood Tank Build

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
nolapete;2980156; said:
3 guys on a 4'x8' skid coming out of a truck? I'd pay money to watch you guys f*** up that $1700 piece of acrylic. It surely can be done with less than 8. I'd just rather have the flexibility of a few extras. I don't think any of my friends, or yours for that matter, would come out of their pocket with $1700 to replace it if they dropped it because of having too few to do it right.
At only 200 Pounds each it really wouldn't be pushing it... mind you it's hard for me to find friends that lug around bricks and blocks all day long:D

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
necrocanis;2980493; said:
Hand trucks? fork lift?
If only it was that easy. You can kinda see what I'm dealing with from this picture. Where the truck wheel/tail lights are is the street where the truck will arrive. Between there and the doors that we have to come through is yard, sidewalk, then yard, then you see the concrete walkway right in front of the house.

008.JPG

007.JPG

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
nolapete;2981192; said:
If only it was that easy. You can kinda see what I'm dealing with from this picture. Where the truck wheel/tail lights are is the street where the truck will arrive. Between there and the doors that we have to come through is yard, sidewalk, then yard, then you see the concrete walkway right in front of the house.
Lay down some Plywood and use dollies... make yourself a path way... I see a Nice straight shot

invisyblegypsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Toms River NJ.08757
nolapete;2981303; said:
Yah, it's not the actual doing it that's bugging me. It's the getting people to show up part. Getting it out of the truck and into the wall are going to be interesting, but the rest is cake.
NO BEERS befor the job is compleat!!
then take em to house of blues for beer &bugers
they are good i used to eat there offten( i used to live on Grand Isle)

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
sweet build! just read through the thread and i can't wait to watch this come together. i had to laugh when someone was talking about your viewing window being kinda small-hell i just want a tank with that footprint right now:( also love the 210g growout tank!

i know this is kinda jumping ahead but was just wondering how your scaping it-any toppled mangroves handy?

also was wondering if your in construction or what cause this thing is looking clean so far. when your finished you should look into starting your own business:)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The clean construction I give credit to my friend Ken. He's the genius behind taking the insanity in my head and applying it to lumber. Granted, most of everything you see has been in my head for a long time. Assembly is where Ken is a priceless resource. And he works for beer, so cheap labor.

For decor, one of the things I'm most likely doing is buying a couple box lots of large/xl malaysian driftwood from aquaticeco.com. or some other source if I find one. I'll take 1/4"-1/2" nylon rods painted with krylon fusion brown to bolt the pieces together to form bigger root-like structures.

My friend with the 2600 gallon tanks uses artificial plants found at a craft store. They are big and look great in his tanks.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Pete It is great to see the progress you have made. Thanks to you and all the viewers who have given very useful links to products to make the project work. I like the shoal of silver arrowanas that are going in there. Stingrays with them will be awesome.
I was in nola in 1995 at the ACA and we visited the Aquarium. Is it back and running after K hit it so badly?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store