My DIY Sump Design

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
The glass thickness is really upt o you, but probably no less than 1/4". But it all depends on size of the sump.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
dleomd;3175207; said:
Hello all, interesting thread. looking forward to seeing the completed project jcardona; you're always up to something big! Never worked with a sump before but considering it for a 150 I have planned. Hope you wouldn't mind answering some questions? So, what's the advantage? Also, how does the water get to the filter socks if the tank doesn't have built in overflows? Also, since you're diy-ing it, what will you use for filter socks? What size sump would you recommend for a 150 if I also plan to use 2-3 xp3's? What kind of pump does something like that use? Finally, can you incorporate an automatic filling/water change system with something like that?

whew, lot's of questions. Hope you don't mind. Always learn a lot from your posts. GL with the project!
Dean

JC got most of your questions, so I'll fill in the blanks.
1. You are probably going to need 30 gal minimum for a sump for your 150. But it is all in the setup.
2. Yes, you most certainly can incorporate a drip system/water changer. That's why I went to a central sump in the first place.
3. Typical pump size for you tank would be about 750gph or so.But feel free to go less or go more. You do have 2 XP3s....

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
Pharaoh;3178766; said:
The glass thickness is really upt o you, but probably no less than 1/4". But it all depends on size of the sump.
What would you recommend for a 75g sump?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
ado124;3178828; said:
What would you recommend for a 75g sump?
Probably 3/8" or so.

dleomd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2009
Rockford, IL
jcardona thanks for your time and patience in answering my questions. You've given me lots to think about. In regards to your drip plate issue, I've been thinking....Since you're diy-ing this anyways, I think you could easily make an acrylic box to fit into your second chamber and fill that with the bio. The box cover would be your drip plate. You could then incorporate a ledge onto your second vertical partition which would direct the spill over only onto the top of the diy bio-filled box. Does this make sense? I also think it would make things easier for cleaning as you could just lift the bio-filled box out and rinse it. Sorry if I'm not making sense, just some thoughts from an extreme novice!!!
Again, thanks so much and good luck....can't wait to see the final product.

dleomd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2009
Rockford, IL
Thank you Pharaoh, appreciate your input. As for the drip/water changer, would you be willing to post a sketch of how you set yours up? I have some ideas but I'm definitely not a plumber! And as I said, totally novice re: sumps. Appreciate you.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
dleomd;3179428;3179428 said:
jcardona thanks for your time and patience in answering my questions. You've given me lots to think about. In regards to your drip plate issue, I've been thinking....Since you're diy-ing this anyways, I think you could easily make an acrylic box to fit into your second chamber and fill that with the bio. The box cover would be your drip plate. You could then incorporate a ledge onto your second vertical partition which would direct the spill over only onto the top of the diy bio-filled box. Does this make sense? I also think it would make things easier for cleaning as you could just lift the bio-filled box out and rinse it. Sorry if I'm not making sense, just some thoughts from an extreme novice!!!
Again, thanks so much and good luck....can't wait to see the final product.
yeah that makes sense lol. sounds like a great idea but it also sounds like a lot of work haha. i dont know if i wanna do that much. i was thinking of a way to make a raised "lip" around the edge of the drip tray (plastic pegboard) so that the water doesnt go outside the edges.

maybe get some plastic strips and glue them around the edge of the tray???

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
dleomd;3179437; said:
Thank you Pharaoh, appreciate your input. As for the drip/water changer, would you be willing to post a sketch of how you set yours up? I have some ideas but I'm definitely not a plumber! And as I said, totally novice re: sumps. Appreciate you.
Not a problem. Send me a PM and I'll give you all of the info. We'll keep it out of JC's thread.

dleomd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2009
Rockford, IL
jcardona1;3179444; said:
yeah that makes sense lol. sounds like a great idea but it also sounds like a lot of work haha. i dont know if i wanna do that much. i was thinking of a way to make a raised "lip" around the edge of the drip tray (plastic pegboard) so that the water doesnt go outside the edges.

maybe get some plastic strips and glue them around the edge of the tray???
Hey j, been thinking more on this. What about using some stackable storage containers with holes drilled in the bottoms? With the uppermost one, you could trim the lip off the lid so it sits down inside the bin somewhat, propped up with short lengths of pvc. then fill the bins with your bios and call it a day? Would make cleaning way easy too, just pull out each bin and rinse! What do you think? Saw these at target, less than $4 each:

bins.jpg

bins2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store