My DIY Sump Design

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
JustLooking;3171983;3171983 said:
Another thing the last divider does is limit the amont of water that can be pumped into the tank in the case of a drain issue.

If my old setup didnt have that,the volume of water in the sump would overflow the tank if the drains got clogged.
how so? i dont follow....how does that last divider control this?

JustLooking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
Pa
the water that is to the left,not in the pump area cant get to the pump,so it cant be pumped out.

Its only a small amount of water that saved,but thats worth the extra piece.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
Here are some pics of mine, exactly the same design as yours. Works like a charm :)

sump 001.jpg

sump 002.jpg

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
very nice! thats a clean setup :thumbsup:

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
jcardona1;3174450; said:
very nice! thats a clean setup :thumbsup:
Thanks bro, I'm sure yours will turn out nice too.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I could see it being used as a little bit of insurance against flooding, but theres nothing better than having double to overflows to ensure cloggin doesn't become an issue.

dleomd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2009
Rockford, IL
Hello all, interesting thread. looking forward to seeing the completed project jcardona; you're always up to something big! Never worked with a sump before but considering it for a 150 I have planned. Hope you wouldn't mind answering some questions? So, what's the advantage? Also, how does the water get to the filter socks if the tank doesn't have built in overflows? Also, since you're diy-ing it, what will you use for filter socks? What size sump would you recommend for a 150 if I also plan to use 2-3 xp3's? What kind of pump does something like that use? Finally, can you incorporate an automatic filling/water change system with something like that?

whew, lot's of questions. Hope you don't mind. Always learn a lot from your posts. GL with the project!
Dean

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
asnwers below. im not a diy sump expert, just my opinions :)

dleomd;3175207; said:
Hello all, interesting thread. looking forward to seeing the completed project jcardona; you're always up to something big! Never worked with a sump before but considering it for a 150 I have planned. Hope you wouldn't mind answering some questions? So, what's the advantage? advantage of building vs. buying? COST! advantage of wet/drys in general? massive amounts of beneficial bacteria. much more than any canister filter

Also, how does the water get to the filter socks if the tank doesn't have built in overflows? DIY pvc overflows or a overflow box, like the CPR brand

Also, since you're diy-ing it, what will you use for filter socks? You can buy sump filter socks from any good LFS :)

What size sump would you recommend for a 150 if I also plan to use 2-3 xp3's? What kind of pump does something like that use? most say you should use a sump that holds about 20-30% of the tank's volume. i like submersible pumps as you dont have to worry about external plumbing. i particularly like the Quiet One line of pumps

Finally, can you incorporate an automatic filling/water change system with something like that? I'm sure you could, and i know it has been done. cant help you with that though ;)

whew, lot's of questions. Hope you don't mind. Always learn a lot from your posts. GL with the project!
Dean

famous323

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2008
LONG BEACH, CA
kel 009.JPG

heres my 10 gallon sump for my 125 this pic was when i was in the process of gluing all together

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store