New DYI Tank 135 in progress

Recycling Works

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
Steve Irwins Shadow
Hey, Thanks! yea its original, just always thought the easter island statues were cool, i made mine a little more human like, more eyes nose and mouth. got to completely hollow the back out to keep them from floating and being stressed. Havent had much time to work on it lately, working lots and have a 3 and 5 year old that come first.

andy123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
PALM COAST FL
you said that you used cement, to cover the back ground. what kind. concrete cement? I'm just wondering, because I like the idea of the back ground, and was wondering what you used. at frist I thought that you just used a gray epoxy. and were just going to use some kind of weight (slate rock) to weigh the statues down. it looks good, and i understand about having no time. I have a 6, 2, and a 4 month old. it gets tough sometimes...
andy

danny boy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
gatwick
i shouldnt p!ss on your parade but im evil, that tank looks *****e... could have got a really nice second hand one for less.

dan76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
qld
danny boy , post a link to pics of your tanks so everyone can comment on them

Recycling Works

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
Steve Irwins Shadow
I agree its pretty ghetto, Its a work in progress though, it should be pretty cool in the end. Its definatly been challenging, at least give me credit for having the balls to post it. I am hoping people can learn from my mistakes. thats what mfk is all about.

Recycling Works

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
Steve Irwins Shadow
Hey andy, I used portland cement, number 3 i believe, but you can use most brands as long as quickrite is not used. The key is the curing, after you got it done, soak it in salt water for a few weeks. just dump a few cups of salt in the water, change water a few times. if you dont cure it, the ph may go through the roof and kill your fish.

Im also hoping the styrofoam will act as an insulator, like the old beer coolers, and my heater wont have to work as hard.

if your concerned about ph, use your bondo and put a layer over the background, that would totally seel it up. and bondo is cheap and easy to use, 10 bucks a pint or 27 bucks a gallon, available in most hardware automotive sections "bondo fiberglass resin" great stuff

danny boy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
gatwick
dan76 said:
danny boy , post a link to pics of your tanks so everyone can comment on them
what would be the point? i run a rena 8ft with the rift eheim background. one of the best tanks you can buy. id end up making you look silly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store